Catcher can make all the difference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
Yes, but its not just helping get strikes called. I can think of a few more reasons a good catcher is important:

- block balls in the dirt preventing passed balls/wild pitches;
- strong and accurate throws on pick-off attempts/steals;
- field general telling the defense where to go with the ball on bunt;
- fielding pop-ups around home plate and in foul territory;
- making good catch, block, and tag outs at home plate;
- a "sports psychologist" when visiting the circle and keeping the pitcher calm and focused in tight situations.

The more I think about it, the catcher just may be the most important player on the field?

I agree completely it is more than just getting strikes called. This kid picks off at least one or two runners a tournament in some very good tournaments. And stealing on her is VERY difficult. My DD has been lucky to have had very good catchers the past few years but again her Ks per inning is MUCH higher than ever. And as a pitcher's dad I was more than willing to give my princess all the props!! :) She set me straight. But sadly, they are committed to different schools and her catcher is a 2015 and my DD a 2016 so she keeps saying I am going to enjoy this year while it lasts.

And Riseball makes a great point, the difference between an unmotivated bad catcher and this kid is almost beyond calculation.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I can absolutely vouch that having a great catcher behind the plate helps a pitcher. My DD had the same one for 3 of HS, travel ball and college for 3 years. She made some really great plays to help when the DD made a mistake in the circle. They knew each other so well my DD never shook her off. They called all of their own games all the way through college. Came up with their own game plans together. On the field they were like one mind. They only time the catcher came out to the circle was to get the defense set if there was a situation that needed it or to change signals if the runner on two was trying to relay signs and location.

Off the field they were friendly, but never hung out together. Both of them had their own friends they hung with. So be sure your DD knows she does not have to be a BFF with the catcher, but learning how to work together for a the common goal of winning is paramount.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Amen. I sit and catch 22 out of 25 of my pitching students. I tell them to bring a catcher. Every once in a while a kid will show up to catch and I try to help them. I do not charge the catchers. But, guess what? They don't want to hear that they should not catch up on their toes and they should never set up, down the middle of the plate.

One little 9yo even told me that her dad wouldn't let her catch flat footed. I told her it will be OK.

So, then the dad of the pitcher will call me and say " ______ needs more help on hitting her spots and throwing the CU." I show up and catch. The girl is 95% accurate. I tell them that it isn't a pitching problem, it is a catching problem. :)

Jun 19, 2013
Too bad more of the catchers don't take you up on the opportunity Amy when DD get's to team up with the best catcher on our team it is a treat. You see the confidence in her eyes and in her pitches. She relaxes and trusts the calls. She knows her drop ball isn't going to be a free base if it's an inch lower then it should be. When she calls for something in on the hands she throws it confidently knowing that is a plan and it usually works out. I've complimented this catcher and her mom repeatedly for what a good job she does. The mom said she really learned most of what she knows from going to pitching lessons with a pitcher from her prior team and gleaning from the pitching coach who is the team coach at the local community college. This catcher is a joy to watch and I'm sad my DD isn't going to same HS. Hoping for a more long term special pitcher/catcher connection for my DD down the road.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2009
I can absolutely vouch that having a great catcher behind the plate helps a pitcher. My DD had the same one for 3 of HS, travel ball and college for 3 years. She made some really great plays to help when the DD made a mistake in the circle. They knew each other so well my DD never shook her off. They called all of their own games all the way through college. Came up with their own game plans together. On the field they were like one mind. They only time the catcher came out to the circle was to get the defense set if there was a situation that needed it or to change signals if the runner on two was trying to relay signs and location.

Off the field they were friendly, but never hung out together. Both of them had their own friends they hung with. So be sure your DD knows she does not have to be a BFF with the catcher, but learning how to work together for a the common goal of winning is paramount.

Man this is dead on. My DD and her catcher are really their own people off the field. Different high schools attended, different friends completely. But about 2 hours give or take before arriving at every tournament they start texting each other. And it is all business about how they are going to approach hitters.

And my DD loves the fact this kid keeps it real. She will tell her flat out her riseball is spinning (her words for bullet spin) or her dropball is flat etc. If your catcher DD or your pitcher DD find this kind of relationship at any age DO NOT take it for granted. And like Sparky says they can be completely different with different friends off the field but as they get to the fields man they instinctively come together.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ I agree that you don't have to be BFFs. But that phone call, in the middle of the night, when you have locked yourself out of your car - and that teammate is going to be there for you.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
OMG isn't that the truth catchers imo are equally as important as a pitcher.

The more I think about it, the catcher just may be the most important player on the field?

Ok, guys, let's not go overboard.

We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise pitcher, and we in here talking about catchers. I mean, listen, we're talking about catchers, not a pitcher, not a pitcher, not a pitcher, we talking about catchers. Not a pitcher. Not, not … Not the pitcher that goes out there and pitches every game like it’s her last. Not the pitcher but we're talking about catchers, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about catchers. I know I catchers are supposed to be there. I know they’re supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about catchers man. What are we talking about? Catchers? We're talking about catchers, man. We're talking about catchers. We're talking about catchers. We ain't talking about the pitcher. We're talking about catchers, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me pitch, you see me pitch don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about catchers right now.

9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz