Catcher can make all the difference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
So my DD worked harder this off-season than she ever had especially when it came to weights and fitness. And she has had a very good travel season so far...no this is NOT a brag post. The other quick fact that is relevant is she has a new catcher this year. And on our way out of town this weekend I was saying how her K total is way up against some pretty good opponents and how proud I was of her. I said must be due to all her hard work ... blah blah.

She just looked at me and said: " Dad thanks but the biggest reason is xxxxx (her new catcher). I am getting strikes called that are amazing. Dad she is a freakin' Houdini." Almost quote unquote.

So my point is if you have a DD that pitches and you are looking at a new team for next year watch the catchers in every tryout. My DD has been lucky and has generally had VERY good catchers but this year she attributes most of her success to her new catcher. She will also tell you she calls an amazing game (catcher not coach calls the pitches). I walked down a little while ago and they were in the hotel lobby just talking pitches and what they wanted to do this weekend. And I have noticed in all my pictures of the team whether in the dugout or at dinner or just doing a fun team activity those two are always by each other.

Again I know we all know, but I will just reinforce the fact that the catcher can MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As the father of a proud catcher-beast who works her tail off to help her pitchers get Ks, I say to you and your DD...

THANKS!! Your recognition is appreciated.

Jun 11, 2013
I just watched NECC the other day and he claimed that a good C can get you up to 5 strikes per inning. DD is very good at this part of the game. Needs to speed up release if she wants to keep playing it. Having a great catcher is great, but having a bad one will kill you at every single level.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
As a pitcher's mom, I can totally appreciate where your DD is coming from. The chemistry between a pitcher and catcher can make a big difference in the outcome of a game. In our program, there's a lot of stress on offering pitching clinics for younger ages (8U and 10U). I've voiced that catcher's clinics should be offered as well because what good is a strong pitcher without a strong catcher to partner her with? Good on your DD for recognizing that she's part of a battery and that her success is due in part to the effort made by the young lady behind the plate.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
As the father of a proud catcher-beast who works her tail off to help her pitchers get Ks, I say to you and your DD...

THANKS!! Your recognition is appreciated.

As a mom of a catcher, I echo Eric's thanks! There really is a special relationship that develops between the pitcher and catcher.

Jun 19, 2013
Very happy with you!! We are on the other side of the fence this year so I can concur that we will never underappreciate a catcher again. We thought it would be great to have a HC that didn't have a pitcher daughter, but what is almost as bad is having one who has a catcher dd that stinks. He thinks she's amazing and makes excuses for her constantly. Everything get's by her, DD is hesitant to throw her drop ball because if it's extra low it's to the back stop. She is supposed to call her own pitches but has no idea what she's doing. DD has to shake her off, and then she freezes, and then DD get attitude from both her and her dad after the inning. Can't regularly get the ball back to the circle - DD was showing me a bruise on her knee a couple weeks ago and it was from dropping down fast repeatedly to get the throwback out of the dirt so it didn't get past her - we've also had throw backs end up going to 2nd baseman a few times. Can't make throw downs. It's a joke. It wouldn't really be that sad if we didn't have two other pitchers both significantly better. He admits that other girls are better at throw downs, better at blocking balls, better at getting foul balls . . . but says his DD is the best at framing a pitch and so she is #1. Better catcher catches whenever the AC's DD is in the circle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a pitcher's mom, I can totally appreciate where your DD is coming from. The chemistry between a pitcher and catcher can make a big difference in the outcome of a game. In our program, there's a lot of stress on offering pitching clinics for younger ages (8U and 10U). I've voiced that catcher's clinics should be offered as well because what good is a strong pitcher without a strong catcher to partner her with? Good on your DD for recognizing that she's part of a battery and that her success is due in part to the effort made by the young lady behind the plate.

Good for you! Keep pushing for it. A good catcher needs as much catcher-specific work as pitchers need pitcher-specific work. Our rec league has made a significant shift in the past couple of years in their understanding of how important a good catcher is - not only to the pitcher's effectiveness, but the whole team's defense. Catcher sloppiness costs strikes. Catcher mistakes costs runs.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A catcher definitely makes a big difference. A couple hours ago I saw one of my best pitching students look mediocre because of a very poor, unmotivated catcher.

Feb 7, 2013
I just watched NECC the other day and he claimed that a good C can get you up to 5 strikes per inning.

Yes, but its not just helping get strikes called. I can think of a few more reasons a good catcher is important:

- block balls in the dirt preventing passed balls/wild pitches;
- strong and accurate throws on pick-off attempts/steals;
- field general telling the defense where to go with the ball on bunt;
- fielding pop-ups around home plate and in foul territory;
- making good catch, block, and tag outs at home plate;
- a "sports psychologist" when visiting the circle and keeping the pitcher calm and focused in tight situations.

The more I think about it, the catcher just may be the most important player on the field?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, but its not just helping get strikes called. I can think of a few more reasons a good catcher is important:

- block balls in the dirt preventing passed balls/wild pitches;
- strong and accurate throws on pick-off attempts/steals;
- field general telling the defense where to go with the ball on bunt;
- fielding pop-ups around home plate and in foul territory;
- making good catch, block, and tag outs at home plate;
- a "sports psychologist" when visiting the circle and keeping the pitcher calm and focused in tight situations.

The more I think about it, the catcher just may be the most important player on the field?

Shhhh...This is the pitching forum. We still need pitchers to think THEY are the most important. You know, that ego thing. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck