Can an B level player play down on a C team as pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
Two teams. C level team has no pitcher. B level team offered their pitchers to pitch for C team during games. Same league, just has two teams in the same age division.

Can they do that?

Sep 27, 2015
I thought once you were on the roster as a B player, you couldn't play down during the season. Otherwise people can stack their teams :-(

My daughter tried out for a new team last night and was offered the catchers position. We asked about the pitchers and were told that they play down from their B team. Just seemed odd.

Thanks for the reply!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It does seem wrong. If it was an one off would be one thing, as a habit I would not want to be on the C Team.

We don't need some kids just showing up at our to pitch. I will take my chances with Sally.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Depends on the league or organization. There are no universal definitions of A, B and C.

When I started a travel team in 10U, I had only 1 pitcher that was consistently competitive even at the entry-level of travel. The others were borderline. They would still pitch in the rec league. That could be called an example of a B pitcher throwing in a C league, but there was nothing unfair about it. They weren't that good at that point.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If it's a dedicated "C" league or tournament, then typically someone from a "B" or higher team wouldn't be allowed to pick up.

However, if it's an "Open" league or tournament, the classification of individual teams / players doesn't matter.

Feb 15, 2016
I have seen girls play at one level and pitch at another. I think it is great for girls who might be B level at hitting andcin the field but not yet good enough to be regular pitcher at that level. I always wanted my teams facing good pitching so I would be happy if some pitchers played down. Your daughter might have an easier time catching a better pitcher. My oldest was a catcher and her coach always told her that 12U catching would be the toughest job she ever had.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, I think some part of this is an interesting question.

DD and a handful of other players will face anyone you throw at them, other players are a little bit more skidish.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What intrigues me about this thread is the A-B-C talk. Technically, an 'A' player is simply someone who is placed on a roster that is classified by somebody as 'A'. ... Doesn't guarantee anything else.

Kinda like divisions in college softball. Without question, D-I has more good teams than D-II, and D-II more than D-III, but still, a D-I team is simply one that is classified as D-I. Doesn't guarantee anything else.

So back to the OP, is it legal for a B player to participate in a C tournament/event? Depends on whose rule book you're using.

Is it ethical/appropriate? Depends on the teams. D-II North Georgia would enjoy playing D-I App State. Good match. Should D-I N.C. State play D-II Brevard? Probably not.

Sep 27, 2015
My daughter enjoys catching for the pitchers on the team, none of them throw as hard or as fast as her sister pitches to her :)
I just want to make sure the teams won't be in any kind of trouble with it happening. I want to make sure she has a good season.

She is head catcher if she wants it on this team. She will have a back up catcher, which she has never really had before. Last season she caught 5 games in a row with no real rest. I think she had a 30 minute break between games 3 and 4 so she could grab something to eat. The coach also told her if she can make the throw to 1st, second, or third to get a runner out, take it. She will not get in trouble if her teammate does not catch the ball.

She is almost 3 years younger than all the other girls on the team and by far the smallest but she liked playing with them. I just hope their other catcher isn't too upset that she is taking the head catcher position.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp