can a runner make two outs on one play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
-no outs
- runners on 1st & 2nd
- routine pop fly to 1st baseman, along 1st baseline and about 3/4 down baseline

PU calls "infield fly, batter out"

Batter-runner continues to run and collides with 1st baseman who was settled under fly waiting to make catch, both fall down, no catch made

At contact PU calls "Interference, Dead Ball...no double play, batter runner out by infield fly"

It all sound correct to me as I wouldn't think someone could make two outs on one play. Anyone experience this before.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There's no situation where two outs can be attributed to the same player.

But...

Since this collision impeded a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, it is interference by a retired runner. The penalty is that the ball is dead and the runner closest to home is called out.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A runner can cause at least 2 outs, not sure about 3 because it usally becomes a dead ball, but a single runner can only be called out once.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
There's no situation where two outs can be attributed to the same player.

But...

Since this collision impeded a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, it is interference by a retired runner. The penalty is that the ball is dead and the runner closest to home is called out.

Interesting...thanks.

Mar 2, 2013
This goes back to what I said last week in another thread. There is no way to score 2 outs on the same player from the same at bat in the scorebook.

You cannot give the same player credit (or debit if you prefer) for 2 outs. You may, however, pass an out along to another player if, by rule, you can obtain a second out, as is the case here.

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In this case would the batter-runner be considered "retired" prior to the interference since technically the out isn't recorded until the ball is declared fair? Should the umpire consider whether runners were tagging and therefore whether a secondary play could have been made to award another out?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
In this case would the batter-runner be considered "retired" prior to the interference since technically the out isn't recorded until the ball is declared fair? Should the umpire consider whether runners were tagging and therefore whether a secondary play could have been made to award another out?

If the ball was over fair ground when the fielder was interfered with, then it is considered a fair ball. So...fair ball, infield fly, batter is out.

The definition of interference, when it comes to a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, doesn't require the umpire to judge if there was another play available. The fielder's protection is absolute, no matter what the other runners were doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413