Help me understand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Runners on first and second 1 out. Batter hits a pop fly to SS. R2 has taken a big lead and crashes into the short stop as she goes to make the catch trying to scramble back to the bag. SS manages to make the catch anyway and tosses the ball to second base for the double play, field umpire signals out. Home plate umpire rules interference batter out because it was infield fly and no double play. My interpretation of this is that they completely screwed it up. Infield fly does not protect the runners giving them a free pass back to the bag. The runner was essentially starting to steal and got caught way off the bag. Interference is a delayed dead ball and the defense completed the double play…interference does not negate the result of the play. Am I missing something here? This was a high level showcase tournament this weekend….and of course as always happens since we weren’t given the double play ending the inning the next batter rips a double and we lose 6-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
As far as I know NCAA is the only rule set where interference is a delayed dead ball. Based on another case rule (where the runner is off of the base and hit by the ball and results in 2 outs), my interpretation is that the batter is out due to infield fly and the runner is out, and the ball is dead due to interference. Not certain though.

Oct 24, 2010
Not only is mmeece correct, this type of interference is an immediate dead ball even in NCAA.

OPs should state the rule set in their situation, for obvious reasons.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hmmm...not so fast. Doesn't it depend on when the IFF was declared?

Under the USSSA, NCAA and NSA rules, the ball is dead as soon as there is interference. Other than appeal plays, no outs can be made after the ball becomes dead.

Under the NSA, NCAA and USSSA rules, the batter is out when the IFF is declared. In the NSA, the ump can declare the IFF even after the play ends...and we have all seen instances where the IFF is called after the play ends.

So, if interference occurs *BEFORE* the IFF is declared, it is an immediate dead ball, the runner is out and the batter is still up to bat.

TO MAKE IT MORE CONVOLUTED: The rules also say that the batter is out only if an IFF is fair. However, the ball is never "fair" or "foul" until it touches something. Therefore, the batter is not "out" until the ball touches something.

If interference occurs before the ball is touched by an infielder, then the batter is not out.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Hmmm...not so fast. Doesn't it depend on when the IFF was declared?

Under the NSA and USSSA rules, the batter is out when the IFF is declared. In the NSA, the ump can declare the IFF even after the play ends...and we have all seen instances where the IFF is called after the play ends.

Under the NSA and USSSA rules, interference is an immediate dead ball.

So, if interference occurs *BEFORE* the IFF is declared, it is an immediate dead ball, the runner is out and the batter is still up to bat.
Hmmm....tabling the turns...

I can't argue it from a rulebook point of view, but I can't see an IFF being waved off, especially when IFF can be called after the play has ended.

That would be like an umpire calling dead ball interference, a coach immediately calling the umpire a nasty name leading to an ejection, then saying the ejection is waved off because the ball was called dead. The events still happened.

Mar 1, 2013
Speaking USA - Rule 8.7.J.1 effect F puts both the runner out (on the interference) and the Batter out. Remember - upon the interference the ball is dead and NOTHING happens next by rule since the ball is dead. The fielder catching the ball here is irrelevant. The runner is out on the INT and since they interfered with a fielder attempting to catch a routine fly ball, the batter is also out.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The runner is out on the INT and since they interfered with a fielder attempting to catch a routine fly ball, the batter is also out.
That is not exactly what the rule says...

8.7.1 says:
a The ball is dead.
b The runner is out.
c The batter-runner is awarded first base.
d Runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
e If the interference, in the umpire's judgment, is an attempt to prevent a double
play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner
shall also be called out.
f If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball, fair or
foul, with ordinary effort, the batter is also out.

In this situation, the interference did not prevent the fielder from catching the ball. Thus, 8.7.1(f) doesn't apply.

So, under the USA rules:

The ball is dead, the runner is out, the batter is placed at 1B.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee