Can a player play down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2011
Usssa rules only. Can a player on a 16u roster play down on a 14u, assuming she is put on 14u roster and fits age requirements for 14u. 16u not playing at tourney either

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most tournaments are not overly concerned with rosters as long as all players meet the age requirements. ASA qualifiers are the exception. Once a player signs in at a qualifier she is LOCKED at that age group.

Apr 29, 2011
i realize they dont overly scrutinize rosters. need to know because her coach doesnt want her to play. She says its against the rules..
player and more importantly parents want her to play 14u.. its just for a 1 day tourney. her 16u isnt playing all winter.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
i realize they dont overly scrutinize rosters. need to know because her coach doesnt want her to play. She says its against the rules..
player and more importantly parents want her to play 14u.. its just for a 1 day tourney. her 16u isnt playing all winter.

What rule is the coach claiming you would be breaking? I think your coach is full of doo doo.

Apr 29, 2011
She says the rule states a player can't play down, which it does. But I believe it refers to age, not the fact that the player is a 2000 playing 16u

May 31, 2012
In FL Usssa. Rosters lock sometime in June. You can guest with whoever you want til then as long as the age is correct. Even after the rosters are locked you can guest with directors permission.

Apr 29, 2011
Pa director said if she is on a 16u roster she can not play down, no matter what age. Is tha a national usssa rule or just one directors spin on it?

Oct 18, 2009
Pa director said if she is on a 16u roster she can not play down, no matter what age. Is tha a national usssa rule or just one directors spin on it?

I don't have the rule book but I've heard that before, a player cannot play down once rostered on an older team even if released. I thinnk this is definitely the case for ASA. I do know the USSSA tourneys in PAE/NJ are not very strict with rosters. However, IMHO, if your coach doesn't want it, I wouldn't push it. Not sure if its really worth it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA