Calling Balls and Strikes from Behind Pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I thought about putting this on the pitching thread, but am interested in the views of our esteemed umpires, catchers, and coaches.

One of several accommodations we have made to COVID-19 in our local play is the plate umpire standing behind the pitcher to call balls and strikes. That is, from about 49 to 50 feet away. This obviously has to change the game, though I am still trying to puzzle out how exactly. I've watched several games like this now and, anecdotally, I don't think it is doing pitchers any favors. (yes, my DD is a pitcher. LOL!).

Not sure how the umpire sees clearly where the ball is crossing the front of the plate. We had the experience this past weekend with multiple pitchers of many low fastballs or dropballs not getting called for strikes. I am thinking this might be because the catcher often needs to move her glove down to catch the ball near the back of the plate adding to a perception that the pitch was too low? We also had trouble getting the call on the front inside corner on a screwball. All pitchers seemed affected and were throwing many more balls than the "back of their baseball card" suggested they would be. My DD, in particular, was struggling with the umpire's zone, asked politely a couple times where things were missing, but could not figure it out consistently. She was convinced that she was throwing many more strikes than were getting called and I think she was probably right.

Perspectives welcome.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Learning curve for umpire too.

DD was a P too and worked on finding out what ump called and did not call. Not sure how it would be different them calling it behind the P.

Feb 25, 2018
Games haven't started back up yet here in MA, but USA-MA will be having umpires social distanced behind the catcher. I tried that with my daughter pitching to a teammate, very difficult to call the outside pitch. I'd rather be behind the pitcher's circle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Although I am not a trained umpire, I have been an emergency fill-in ump for rec and middle school games a couple of times, calling the game from the back of the circle. From that distance, I found it pretty difficult not to use the catcher's mitt position for pitching location judgement. A trained ump might do a lot better job at it than I did.

Mar 7, 2016
my perspective is one ump just FLAT OUT DOES NOT WORK. The last tourney we played in did the exact opposite, only one behind the plate. All players could leave early on steal, all close calls were outs. It was brutal. No appealing of any kind. We only found out about the 1 ump situation the day before we played. Never again, we will drop if that is the case, it just ruins the game. We thought for sure they would do what you said above and prepared our pitchers/ catchers accordingly.

My team turned more double plays this past weekend than all of last season bc all close calls went to defense. We also were on the losing side of all close calls on offense. I have never seen more frustrated teams in my life at a tournament.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Games haven't started back up yet here in MA, but USA-MA will be having umpires social distanced behind the catcher. I tried that with my daughter pitching to a teammate, very difficult to call the outside pitch. I'd rather be behind the pitcher's circle.

I agree, not a fan of ump way behind the C.

Oct 4, 2018
Although I am not a trained umpire, I have been an emergency fill-in ump for rec and middle school games a couple of times, calling the game from the back of the circle. From that distance, I found it pretty difficult not to use the catcher's mitt position for pitching location judgement. A trained ump might do a lot better job at it than I did.

I can speak from the position you were in as well. When I called a game from behind the pitcher I found it really, really easy to tell inside/outside, but pretty hard to call high/low.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I thought about putting this on the pitching thread, but am interested in the views of our esteemed umpires, catchers, and coaches.

One of several accommodations we have made to COVID-19 in our local play is the plate umpire standing behind the pitcher to call balls and strikes. That is, from about 49 to 50 feet away. This obviously has to change the game, though I am still trying to puzzle out how exactly. I've watched several games like this now and, anecdotally, I don't think it is doing pitchers any favors. (yes, my DD is a pitcher. LOL!).

Not sure how the umpire sees clearly where the ball is crossing the front of the plate. We had the experience this past weekend with multiple pitchers of many low fastballs or dropballs not getting called for strikes. I am thinking this might be because the catcher often needs to move her glove down to catch the ball near the back of the plate adding to a perception that the pitch was too low? We also had trouble getting the call on the front inside corner on a screwball. All pitchers seemed affected and were throwing many more balls than the "back of their baseball card" suggested they would be. My DD, in particular, was struggling with the umpire's zone, asked politely a couple times where things were missing, but could not figure it out consistently. She was convinced that she was throwing many more strikes than were getting called and I think she was probably right.

Perspectives welcome.
Are the umpires standing up or in their 'crouch thing'?

Agree learning curve.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Are the umpires standing up or in their 'crouch thing'?

Agree learning curve.
The games I have seen, they are standing and slightly shifting this way or that way to try and get a clear view. They have the pitcher going through their motion and delivery right in front of them, which also has to be distracting, and need to shift somewhat to see around that. Also probably need to shift some based on which side of the plate the batter is batting on.

Aug 25, 2019
As an umpire, I've been told when we go back (July 6th) we will have to be 6 feet behind the catcher. I tried that at DD's live pitching practice. I stood behind the back stop (probably 7 feet behind catcher) and I could not see all of the plate. I found it a bit easier to stand opposite the slot to see pitches. If given the option, I rather just wear a mask and assume the regular position.
I would never want to call a game behind the pitcher, never mind the fact of a different view, it would be dangerous for the not-too-nimble umpire (like me) to get out of the way of screaming line drives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad