Call back, or no call back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
Wondering what the consensus is on whether TB coaches call to let you know your kid wasn't selected, or if they let you figure it out when you don't hear from them. Locally, most seem to call, especially if the coach is one that I know from previous interactions. I have a lot more respect for those who do call than those who don't, nobody likes being the bearer of bad news but those who have the courage to call you back have the character I admire.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Call or at least an email announcing the team (and thanking those who came out but didn't make it) once the roster is set. You absolutely don't leave anyone hanging or trying to figure it out themselves - that is low class

If it is a 'NO' even if there is a roster spot open after acceptances, then a call or email saying "Thank you for coming out however your daughter did not make the team We wish you the best in finding the right situation" should go out quickly.

If it is an absolute 'YES' they rarely leave the tryout without an offer (and a time limit to accept)

The hardest ones are the ones you want if someone on your 'yes' list decides to go somewhere else and you now have a roster spot for. It is a balancing act of letting people know asap and making sure you have the roster as you want it.

Oct 31, 2014
I email parents with a complete workup on how we rated their daughters. We give them their timed speeds running as well as a complete breakdown of their strengths and weaknesses on both offense and defense. We also give tips on what drills to work on for their weaknesses. Catchers get pop times as well. Pitchers get a full evaluation of each pitch with speed, spin and where it ranks at our level. We also give pitchers our evaluation on mechanics. All in all each email takes somewhere between 5 and 25 minutes to type.

I do it this way for a couple reasons. 1) I want them to have a rating in writing so that they can look back on what they need to work on, and what their strengths are. 2) Just because a kid isn't the right fit on our team doesn't mean that they aren't a good ball player. As soon as you tell a person over the phone that their DD didn't make it they tune out. They miss the positives that I want to share. So, I put it in writing. The girls and their parents need to understand that we appreciate them reaching out and wanting to be a part of our team. 3) I want the girls to continue to work, get better and enjoy the game. You never know when a girl may be a right fit down the line. Treating them and their family right at tryouts this year may pay off when they are looking 2-3 years from now.

Jun 12, 2015
Our first travel team my husband was AC and part of the selection. After tryouts the head coach sent an email to those who didn't make the team thanking them for coming out and letting them know they didn't make it. I'm not sure what the coach for our second team did. My husband is AC now but going in, we were just strangers trying out. But she made it so I don't know what he did. If it were my daughter not making a team I'd like to hear back but I'd rather get an email than a phone call.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Every team that DD and I have ever been involved with either called the players (ones that made the team and ones that didn't) or sent out emails. With the emails, the players that made the team received an email with a list of her fellow teammates along with fees, uniform requirements, practice expectations and player/parent agreements. The ones that didn't make the team received a phone call. Not very classy to let a girl and her parents wondering...

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Wow...y'all have it good. Around here, they just said "We will let you know if you made the team within 24-48 hours". And if DD didn't make team, no phone call or nothing. Just dead silence. I suppose it could be because of the huge turnouts at tryouts for the larger organizations. Other teams talked to DD before we left tryouts offering her the spot.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Always call, sometimes it doesn't go well so I can understand why they do not want to do it.

Email doesn't work in my opinion.

This is why the ACs make the big bucks.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The last program I coached with required us to call every player who tried out, whether they made it or not. I hated making those "no thank you" calls. Email would be better for all, I think.

When my son tried out for an elite soccer team, every kid had a number, and you looked it up on a website. If your number was there you made the team. If not, you didn't. A bit impersonal but another way to go.

Jul 27, 2015
Back when I coached, I called the people I knew pretty well with the bad results. I emailed those I did not know all that well. I lost sleep and had an upset stomach for days having to make the decision and to let the girls know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi