Call back, or no call back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As a parent, I don't have a problem with not getting a call, as long as there is some reasonable deadline so that I know a decision has been made.

DD might also have decided after tryouts that she doesn't want to be on that team any way. There's no point in a call. So I'm fine with, 'Call me if you're interested.' Just set a deadline and stick to it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I personally think it is a classy move when the coach calls players whether they made it or not, but I understand that is tough for teams that have large tryouts. I would think they should be able to at least send an email.

Jun 12, 2015
The last program I coached with required us to call every player who tried out, whether they made it or not. I hated making those "no thank you" calls. Email would be better for all, I think.

When my son tried out for an elite soccer team, every kid had a number, and you looked it up on a website. If your number was there you made the team. If not, you didn't. A bit impersonal but another way to go.

I love this idea. Because it's not personal. Only 10-15 girls, depending on the team, will make it. Most of the time if a girl doesn't make it it's not because the coaches don't like her (though sometimes it may be because they don't like the parents but that's another story...) but that she's just not a good fit or not what they're looking for, or not as talented/hardworking/fill in the blank as the the girls who do make it. If we were trying out for a team I'd much rather just check a website to find out than have to graciously accept the rejection on the phone or even by email. Because I do love my kid and think she should make every team ;) so when I find out she didn't make it I think I'd want to rant a minute, until I came to my senses. Much better if I found out online instead of from a person. JMO :)

Feb 3, 2011
I should have expected to read widely disparate opinions on this subject, but it's my personal opinion that direct communication is far more character-building than passive communication.

That said, no one is required to look at every situation as an opportunity to help build character and it goes without saying that many parents are ill-equipped to help their children in that regard anyway. I cannot apply my standards to how other people choose to live their lives, but as often as I can, I'll choose to do business with people who can look me in the eye and shake my hand. So, yes, a phone call or email notification after a tryout is greatly appreciated. If a single team has 50+ players trying out, a form email is fine.

In my DD's case, when she decided not to accept an offer to return to her former team, I told her to request an in-person meeting with the coach and if that wasn't possible, then she needed to talk to her on the phone. I don't know the content of their conversation - it wasn't my business - but I know it was more than a "thanks, but no thanks" deal. Coach P (and Mike!) had been VERY good to Mo, and doggone it, you'd better believe that I was going to strongly insist that she be treated fairly by my child.

Dec 27, 2014
First team dd tried out for I thought she compared very favorably to the existing team, let alone the new kids trying out. They had two workouts were the prospective new players would just work out with the team, but with many of the drills being competitive for footspeed, long toss, accuracy etc. She won a few of the drills and placed well in all. As dad I know I can be a little biased:p, but I expected to hear something from the coach at the end of the first practice, but nothing. We go to the 2nd one a week later and still no feedback from the coach. I tried to initiate some comment from the coach on what he thought of her, but still nothing. A week later we get an email saying she made the team. We had already decided to move on since we thought there wasn't much interest...

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Wow...y'all have it good. Around here, they just said "We will let you know if you made the team within 24-48 hours". And if DD didn't make team, no phone call or nothing. Just dead silence. I suppose it could be because of the huge turnouts at tryouts for the larger organizations. Other teams talked to DD before we left tryouts offering her the spot.

Yep! True for our area.

In my experience:
If they really want you = they will talk with you before you leave the tryout
If you are a "discussion" player = you will usually get a call later that night or next morning

When I coached, I always sent out an email to both those who did and did not make it. Felt like it was just the right thing to do.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
One of the 3 tryouts we went to, my DD did exceptionally well, well enough that even she thought she did well and made the team (which is unheard of as she is her own worst critic). We heard nothing. So, I emailed him because we had another try out coming up but didn't want to bother if we didn't have to, he says "I'm still thinking about it, she has great movement but would be a PO if that's ok with you" I talked it over with DD and she was fine with that. We hard nothing from said coach ever again.

All's well that ends well, that's not the type of person I want her playing for after all.

At the VERY LEAST, send a mass email "thank you for coming, we have selected our team, see you in the dirt" its not that hard!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Current org we are with offered a spot at tryouts when we showed up. They had been after DD for 6 months but respected the fact we finished the season with her previous team. We were all set to return to the previous team if enough girls showed to fill a team. When this didn't happen my DD called the HC of the new team and formally accepted her spot. We had given him a 6pm deadline on the next Saturday for the call. We called and she told him yes I accept and thank you for understanding my wishes during this process.

These things have to be two way streets in the communication area. In my area and as an AC, if you treat people poorly you won't last long. There just aren't that many girls as teams are always looking to add players.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Seems to be a few are afraid of the phone calls. Maybe a bit of an expense. Thinking outside the box here, but hire a High School or College student to do the work. $100 for a couple of hours to do some "call backs" is pennies. One the person making the calls has not ties with the decision maker, so they cant input any feed back to why, or if the DM want to add notes so the caller has something then thats up to them. Basically the caller is a neutral person in this.

Always make the call. Waiting sucks and is more unprofessional than benching someone for a lame mistake .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24