Bugs or no bugs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Yes there really are coaches out there that teach and use the phrase "squish the bug". I should know.. Every other instructor and/ or coach we run into does it.
DD has become a hitting disaster because of the different teaching technique.

Please explain why!!!
For those who believe in squishing the bug, what is the benefit.
For those who so not believe please explain why not...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Squishing the bug is a violation of the Hanson Principle … it is not how the best hitters swing a bat. Those that advocate squishing the bug are likely not reviewing & comparing video of the better hitters … and if they are, they are missing some important details.

Squishing the bug reduces, significantly, the driving ability of the rear leg.

2hwjkar.gif

25hpgty.gif

Jan 13, 2012
Yes there really are coaches out there that teach and use the phrase "squish the bug". I should know.. Every other instructor and/ or coach we run into does it.

Please explain why!!!

There's no benefit. The rear foot is a result. The one video of a high level hitter squashing the bug had Barry Bonds in it. Barry Bonds is frequently characterized as a "back foot hitter." He was "squashing the bug" as a result of his rear leg driving.

I can spin my rear leg down and in all day and get up on my toe.

Feb 7, 2013
My 7yo DS works with a hitting instructor who on occasion when first working with my son would say "squish the bug" to remind him to turn the hips instead of keeping the back foot flat on the ground and only swinging with the upper body. As the kids get more proficient I believe its a no teach or you can say push off the inside of the big toe or other cue you think is helpful. My point is that you are not going to agree with 100% of everything a hitting instructor teaches so pick your battles and focus on the key swing concepts you believe to be absolutes and talk with instructor about them.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

Please explain why!!!

This is why I have become very aware of the "cues" I use anymore. Kids will attempt to do what the coach is asking. One of the biggest ones I hear, and I have used in the past, is "keep your weight back". I now use "stay back" instead.

But for the OP, squishing the bug promotes turning the back foot first to turn the hips. Many teach that to the younger ages to get their hips turning. IMO this type of swing will result in Singles with an occasional Double, but it really seems to drain power from the swing.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is taught more than you think. I was at a softball camp and the person who was doing the training before our camp was a certified Epstein instructior. He had played MLB and all the young boys he was working with in the cages were being told this cue. I watched and walked away in amazement.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My 7yo DS works with a hitting instructor who on occasion when first working with my son would say "squish the bug" to remind him to turn the hips instead of keeping the back foot flat on the ground and only swinging with the upper body. As the kids get more proficient I believe its a no teach or you can say push off the inside of the big toe or other cue you think is helpful. My point is that you are not going to agree with 100% of everything a hitting instructor teaches so pick your battles and focus on the key swing concepts you believe to be absolutes and talk with instructor about them.

Shouldn't be used at all. The cue will cause the hitter to turn their back/rearleg only instead of turning the hips. Try it and see what you feel. The hips wont turn completly. Fake hip turn.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This is taught more than you think. I was at a softball camp and the person who was doing the training before our camp was a certified Epstein instructior. He had played MLB and all the young boys he was working with in the cages were being told this cue. I watched and walked away in amazement.

You should have took and ripped up his Certified Epstein Instructor card on the spot. I also would have ripped up his man card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd