Bucket on the Shelf

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2015
While it's been a nice ride, a fun ride...when that day comes I'll then have the time and money to do some things my wife and I want to do. Yeah, I know, I'm sure all of you will gasp at that and think I'm a selfish SOB. I sacrifice a heckuva lot for this right now with all the kids.

But that's my plan...until they have kids and then I'll rinse and repeat for the grand kids and get right back into the thick of it. If they're boys - baseball, tennis and lacrosse are my preference. If girls - softball, softball, softball (and then maybe tennis and lacrosse). Not that I'd "steer them" towards any one sport...:)

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD is a HS sophomore too.
So far, she has a few opportunities to play in college. However, it won't be the same. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Haven't missed a game yet since she started at 4.5 years old.

The older they get the faster it goes.

Oct 10, 2013
"One day you'll wake up and you won't have anyone to take to practice. Enjoy the time you have." DD is a senior, she's off to play college in August but it won't be the same. Our last scheduled pitching lesson was yesterday, we will go back for tune ups each month, still not the same...bucket will be in the car a few more months.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
To all of you getting close to the end or at the end, I beg of you to share what you have learned! Become a youth coach, help with your local travel/High School team but PLEASE stay involved!

The sport needs you now more than ever with the lack of volunteer coaches at all levels!

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Just DD and I went to a weekend tourney one state over this weekend, DW and DS stayed home. She's a freshman and I really enjoyed getting to spend the 1:1 time with her during the 3.5 hr drive.

We had the "journey" conversation on the drive out. I mentioned there is no guarantee of playing in college, so she may have less time remaining in front of her then behind her. The realization hit her like a brick more than I would have ever expected. We talked about why she loves the game, about what does she want out of the remaining journey; and to go out and make it happen.

She played like a little kid this weekend. I haven't seen her this loose, smiling, and even dancing between innings in a while.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I have one DD graduating HS this year she decided not to play her Senior year, but is working as an Assistant on the HS JV team and V manager. She is going on to college, but will not be playing. She will be an equipment manager and assistant at a D2 college as she is planning on being a HS Teacher and HS softball coach. Her college is an hour away so we will get out there to see some of there games. She had three offers to play (1 D2, 1 NIAI and 1 JUCO) but they were all on the east coast and she did not want to move that far just to play softball on a partial. We ran the numbers and it was cheaper to stay local and not play at a better college.

DD#2 is a Junior and I fear that after the fiasco in Denver last year that she is done with SB. She is a very good A/Gold catcher, but she just wants to work and finish out her Senior year as a cheerleader. It is to bad as she has a lot of speed and natural talent. Plus side is she is a 3 year Varsity Cheerleader and may cheer in college so I may have to learn to like football and basket ball.

DS just made the HS baseball team as a freshman and there is a good chance that he will be playing JV or higher. The school has 4 teams (Freshman, C, JV, V). He is a switch hitting catcher/Outfielder that can pitch in the upper 80's at 15. Once he settles into one position he will get a lot of college looks. I still have 3 1/2 years minimum, but I am already thinking about the last day.

My daughters are trying to convince me to get back into coaching softball which may just be my fix.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
My dd is a junior. She has already said she has no interest in playing in college. She also is not going to play for a travel team this summer. So we have this season that is just starting, and then her senior year (if she plays) so it is coming to an end for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball