Brush Whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Been watching lots of video of high level pitchers and noticed that many of them brush the thigh at release.
I have been trying to find more info on the "Brush Whip" but it very hard to find any good info.

Does anyone on the board teach this ? If so can you explain how you teach it. Drills?

Would love to here from Rick Pauley I know he teaches this.

Boardmember ?

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Rick Pauly and Doug Gillis both teach this.

My DD had a couple sessions with one of Pauly's students this summer, learned a lot and still trying to absorb it all.

What she was taught was very similar to BM's drills from 9 o'clock [half way down the circle behind her]. The addition was that there is a brush across the hip/thigh that provided a consistent checkpoint for release. In addition she was given the goal of making sure the spin was correct (12-6) to achieve this my DD thought about getting her index finger from behind the ball to in front of the ball (forearm pronation i believe, I/R) as quickly as possible. This step was important to work on as DD generally has a bit of the natural slide in her fastball/drop ball. The next step after getting the spin straight will be to control the angle to break the ball in or out, similar to the concept behind a 2-seam.

anyway, after whips (great replacement for snaps) she moves back to a k for a few still focusing on whipping through the bottom and keeping the spin straight make sure to keep a nice elbow lead and whip quickly through the bottom.

as a catcher you will be able to hear the slight brush much of the time. If you want to really hear it have he wear loose running shorts that rustle a little. gives both of you a nice audible feedback

Jul 14, 2008
Lets put it this way..........I advocate posture that ENSURES brushing the forearm against the body.........

I don't take a kid with a severe lean/bend and tell her to brush herself with her forearm as her body is bent up like a pretzel.........

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I find the side contact helps increase the acceleration of the forearm - which in turn makes the resulting pitch higher in velocity. Each pitcher is different, but I think it is a good thing that they learn to make contact -as it usually results in the upper arm slowing down, thus allowing the forearm to accelerate. It also lessens the high magnitude of force put on the shoulder complex during the follow-through, which has been linked to posterior shoulder injuries. IMO, drills like BM's lock-it-in will help you achieve the results you desire. It is a simple drill that isolates the exact instance you desire to teach. I tend to focus a little more upstream of the forearm brush, making sure the tricep area contacts the side - and the result is typically mirrored in the distal segment of the arm. I see this as less restrictive than a pitcher mentally trying to contact - as that effort might take away from the goal of getting the forearm to accelerate and pronate freely.

I agree with the posture comment, too... when I come across this issue - I tend to focus on what the head is doing, as it leads to a series of chained compensations throughout the body that try and compensate for its position. Good posture also allows for the lower extremities to stabilize easier, limiting injury, and enhancing their contribution to the pitch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32