Breaking in a new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just use them. Keep a ball in them and you can smack a ball into the pocket, a lot. If I needed to break one in quickly, I would go catch some balls off a machine.

Jul 23, 2014
Someone posted this in a previous thread and it is what I used to break in my DDs new glove. It worked really, really well. Good enough that she was able to start playing catch with it comfortably.

Oct 10, 2011
Wilson

Which Wilson's? Different gloves have different needs. DD'S A2K and Vinci Catcher's mitt were really tough to break in but a new Mizuno MVP mitt I just got was ready in 30 minutes.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Hey Shaker - I was the one who posted that clip above on another thread. I followed that vid to break in my DD's A2K that she got for Christmas and she hasn't gone back to her previous glove since. She was comfortable enough with it to play her first tourney with it in early Feb. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2011
A2K and a A800
We ended up doing the same thing in the video for the A2k but instead of the water being poured over it, I steamed it myself. You put a moist towel in the microwave and get it steaming hot. .. wrap it around the glove and put a plastic bag around it. After a couple minutes start beating it like in the video. I did the same thing recently with our Custom Kip Vinci and later when dry, put conditioner with Lanolin in it over the glove with great results.
The A2K is an amazing glove!
I would do very little with the A800... it should break in fast...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
Same general thing as the video, except I steam it. Big pot on stove with 3-4 inches water. Metal colander. Get water boiling, throw glove in it and put a towel over it. Flip it over in a couple minutes. Pound out. Repeat until ready to go. Usually steam it 2-3 times. When done, throw some broccoli in the colander and cook supper!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1