Breaking in a new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD was 10U and 12U I would break in her new fielding gloves while catching on a bucket. At 14U it became dicey and I gave it up at 16U.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
My dad always soaked the glove in Baby Oil and just worked it around, massaging the leather. Then he would put a ball in it and tie it up for a few hours. Every few hours he would re-tie it with the focus on the fold points. I still use this technique today and I have never had any problems. Sometimes the color changes a bit, but it is usually very little.

Jan 24, 2009
IMO, gloves these days are getting too hot. Any accelerated break-in (abi) tactics should be considered 'altering' and the glove should be banned from play. :rolleyes:

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
IMO, gloves these days are getting too hot. Any accelerated break-in (abi) tactics should be considered 'altering' and the glove should be banned from play. :rolleyes:

vdubya, that is hilarious. Last fall I was talking with a parent/coach in my DD's 8U league about how I was looking for any kids moving up and no longer needing the bat or glove they use. I am a scavenger by heart anyway, but I know that Rec. League Parents always get rid of equipment and sometimes even before it is broken in. Well the conversation led to me mentioning that in a short fall league, especially with girls this age, the bats are really never broken in to give a good pop. (I know that they are only 8, but the conversation was in general for any age girls.) This brought out an interest in him about ABI so I indulged him in how we used to do it for adult softball when I was younger. The next time I saw him, he mentioned that he had taken his daughter's bat home and made a softball mallet to break in a $50 aluminum bat. I really don't want to see what this guy does when we get to 14U and up.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The next time I saw him, he mentioned that he had taken his daughter's bat home and made a softball mallet to break in a $50 aluminum bat. I really don't want to see what this guy does when we get to 14U and up.

Did you bother to mention that the break in was for composite bats?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32