Breaking in a 1st Base glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Do you think 1st base gloves should be broken in with 1 hinge or 2?
Do you think the design of the glove dictates how many hinges the glove should have?
Does 2 hinges make the glove play more like an outfield glove?
Do you think 1st base gloves should be played with 2 in the pinky?
Do you think 1st base gloves are harder to catch easy pop-flys in softball compared to baseball? Do you think having a glove broken in with 2 hinges is better for this?

Aug 18, 2018
My DD 1B glove was either broken in or played (possibly both) to a single hinge break in. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it works and she likes it.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Break it in to your preference, how you like to wear a glove!

Depending on how you wear a glove, whether traditional or TIP will answer these questions for you.

Apr 8, 2019
I'm also interested to hear if anyone treats their 1st base glove differently than a typical glove. I ordered a Gloveworks first base glove that should be arriving....someday. I usually break gloves in by primarily playing catch, and maybe working the pocket a little. But when I did this with her last 1st base glove, the thumb side turned out to be shallow, making the pocket smaller.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
But when I did this with her last 1st base glove, the thumb side turned out to be shallow, making the pocket smaller.
Wearing it traditional?

Generally traditional (on a fielder's glove) closes anywhere from thumb to index / middle / ring, just depends on the user? And they usually, more times than not form a single hinge break at the pinky side of the heel. My traditionally worn gloves close thumb to in between middle and index finger....old school baby!!

TIP usually forms a double break heel and closes thumb to pinky / ring finger, again, depends on the user? I have two TIP gloves and they still close thumb to in between ring and middle, but I'm weird!

Apr 8, 2019
Wearing it traditional?

Generally traditional (on a fielder's glove) closes anywhere from thumb to index / middle / ring, just depends on the user? And they usually, more times than not form a single hinge break at the pinky side of the heel. My traditionally worn gloves close thumb to in between middle and index finger....old school baby!!

TIP usually forms a double break heel and closes thumb to pinky / ring finger, again, depends on the user? I have two TIP gloves and they still close thumb to in between ring and middle, but I'm weird!
No, she uses TIP. I grew up with TIP and honestly didn't know it was different until I started reading DFP. Her old glove formed thumb to middle finger. That seemed way too shallow, especially for a softball, so I tried to move it over manually with a double hinge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles