Bob Todd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
This was the first pitching video I purchased years ago. He is a point the elbow, slam the door, get in fielding position type instructor. Very old school.

Bob is a Hall of Fame pitcher who threw for the Long Beach NightHawks who consistently won world series after world series. Not only did I pitch against him but I also coached against him in college. He was an assistant coach for Dominguez Hills University team for about 3 years. Yes, he is old school and does believe as I that you should close your hip after release of the ball into a fielding position. Bob is a good man who understands the game very well. And as a pitcher there were not many who threw better than him in his day.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
thanks for the input from you both, I know he was a very good pitcher, I notice his videos are from the past few years so I wonder if he still teaches the close the door, of course if it is done after the pitch I don't think of it as "close the door"

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
I would say that Cat finishes at a 45 degree angle not closing all the way, she never completely faces the catcher, her shoulders and hips do not close all the way so I would say this not slamming the door at all, but that is just my opinion.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
here is an example of old school and as you can see by the pictures he pitches just like the best do today, no "slam the door" here So does Bob Todd really teach "slam the door"? Just because he is old school doesn't mean that he does, I have tried to find a video or picture of him with no luck. But as you can see here, the times have really not changed all that much as far as the elite pitchers go.

I am glad you put those pictures of the King on this tread. All three of the pictures depict exactly what I been trying to explain about getting open then once the ball is released then close. I know you only have 3 pictures of the King in his pitching sequence, but I can tell you from experience he did finish in a fielding position which means he closed his hip after release. I pitched against him and tried in vain to hit against him. He was a step pitcher whose pitching arms was 3 times bigger than his other arms.

Feb 19, 2009
I don't know if there is a universally agreed upon definition of "old school closing the door" but mine is basically as follows, feel free to correct me if it's wrong.

If the arm comes down to the six o'clock position before the hips close, even if they close all the way, it's not "old school" (ie-Ueno). If the hips close at the same time as the arm comes through the six o'clock position then it is "old school" particularly so if followed by elbow pointing, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321