Blatant cheating USSSA tournament. thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2018
We were under the impression that is was all about spinning the ball but I have no clue whether or not it works. All I know is we try to teach our girls to play the right way and something like that runs counter to everything that we stand for and try to instill in our players. I don't want anyone to lose their gig and I'm certainly not suggesting that that kind of behavior is systemic in the organization, but 14u softball should be about WAY more than chasing rings. Let's just say we were a little disappointed...

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What are your thoughts on this? Have any of you run into something like this before? How would you have handled it?

thanks!

I would have gone full Moses coming down from Mount Sinai on them. The TD and UIC would have known about it, because they would have heard me yelling.

This is an affront to "the game", but also a completely undermining of the value of youth sports.

The simple, most basic principle of youth coaching: *LET THE KIDS OWN IT*.

If the kids win, it is their victory and their accomplishment. If the kids lose, it is their loss.

The coach is saying to the kids, "You are not good enough to win the game. And, you are too emotionally weak to experience failure." Awful, awful, awful.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
So tell me about this hollowed out hole in the ball trick.....benefit of it??

I'm thinking this new 10U Rec league is going to be super competitive, looking for any advantage I can find! ;)
If you're using USSSA balls, just wait an inning or two. The ones we have to use (Bownet?) are so gouged after one or two fouls into the fence that he could have just waited 15 minutes and gotten the same result.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We were under the impression that is was all about spinning the ball but I have no clue whether or not it works.

From a physics point of view, the ball is lighter...so the pitcher will get mover movement on the ball. Basically, it is the same reason you can make a Wiffle ball move so much.

SO:

1) The ball will spin faster...(same torque applied, less mass.)
2) The force on the ball caused by the spin will make the ball move more. (same force, less mass).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It looks like they got lit up in the next two games after yours. I guess they either got nervous about the doctored softballs, or it just didn't matter.

Tournaments that don't have the plate umpire personally put balls into play set themselves up for this nonsense.

Since 12U when a jerk of a coach tried to put a less than quality ball into play, I always check foul balls coming through our dugout when we're at bat. I'm looking for old mushy softballs, and am stunned that someone would actually alter one.

That game should have been stopped and the TD/UIC called immediately. I'd pull my team off the field if meaningful and correct action wasn't taken, and I'd let everyone within the range of my voice (~ a half mile) know the reason why.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If you're using USSSA balls, just wait an inning or two. The ones we have to use (Bownet?) are so gouged after one or two fouls into the fence that he could have just waited 15 minutes and gotten the same result.
Honestly I'm not a fan of anything USSSA. Of course I don't know how much truth there is in this.....but I've heard from enough higher ups that the whole 2018 Blue Ghost / USSSA fiasco was 100% about money, and Utrip NOT getting paid!? Maybe Core can chime in on that.....although I'm sure it's probably been discussed before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619