Blatant cheating USSSA tournament. thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The coach is saying to the kids, "You are not good enough to win the game. And, you are too emotionally weak to experience failure." Awful, awful, awful.
This is a really great observation.

I always have thought that a coach who engages in shenanigans, especially with young kids, teaches them that they aren’t good enough to win without shenanigans.

I always go back to my daughters 10u coach that wouldn’t play the shoe tying or switch pitchers game at the end of a time limit game. He totally communicated the message in many ways that we were there to play and we would win by playing the game. When we didn’t win, we would work on it in practice on Tuesday and Thursday. That guy and his assistants were everything that was right about sports.

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed.

We are mindful of the clock and perhaps take the first strike when a close game is coming down to the wire, but that's the extent of it for teams I've been a part of.

And we've never lost by playing hard and not stalling. We've had games go another inning because we didn't waste time, and have had parents bitch and moan about it, but we've won every time that happens. I like the message it gives the girls: We believe in you, we trust you, we want you to win the right way.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I will never understand how the coach could feel good about any wins that were the result of this sort of cheating.

Every time I thought about the game, I'd also have a little flash of "yeah, but you did that thing" go through my head, even if nobody else ever knew about it.

It's not even taking advantage of a situation in a moment. It's premeditated. It's going into a game planning to break rules. What's even the point of playing if that's how you approach the sport?
Cheating is cheesy.
Yet there are those that get a false sense of supremacy being cheesy.
Usually they are people who like any attention.
Even when its negative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12