Blake Miller resigns at UVA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The AD seems to be an upstanding kind of person. I know they honored a verbal commit from right before Miller took the job.

Not sure what I think of that. What if you have a really strong candidate, like Auburn got with Clint Myers awhile back, and he (or she) says here's what I need to win the ACC. The talent we have committed isn't good enough. I need to be able to re-negotiate and re-evaluate all those commitments. In fact, if you let me, I'll re-negotiate some deals with the current players because you've got a lot of money committed to players who aren't good enough to play in the ACC.

What should an AD do in that situation? Would you say 'We'll give you all the resources, facilities, etc., that FSU and Notre Dame have, but you have to ride it out with the players you've got, even those who aren't here yet?

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
Not sure what I think of that. What if you have a really strong candidate, like Auburn got with Clint Myers awhile back, and he (or she) says here's what I need to win the ACC. The talent we have committed isn't good enough. I need to be able to re-negotiate and re-evaluate all those commitments. In fact, if you let me, I'll re-negotiate some deals with the current players because you've got a lot of money committed to players who aren't good enough to play in the ACC.

What should an AD do in that situation? Would you say 'We'll give you all the resources, facilities, etc., that FSU and Notre Dame have, but you have to ride it out with the players you've got, even those who aren't here yet?

it would be hard to get many recruits this late in the game most 2016 are already signed and 2017 have been committed for a good while. We know a good 2017 that's committed to UVA it will be interesting to follow what she does cause she had a lot of options when she chose UVA. They really need facility upgrades.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ

You have a very valid point. I am probably naive but I like to believe some people / institutions hold themselves to a higher standard.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The AD seems to be an upstanding kind of person. I know they honored a verbal commit from right before Miller took the job.

Trying to recruit a new 2016 class 3 months before they enroll in classes would be difficult unless the new HC brings recruits with them....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
it would be hard to get many recruits this late in the game most 2016 are already signed and 2017 have been committed for a good while. We know a good 2017 that's committed to UVA it will be interesting to follow what she does cause she had a lot of options when she chose UVA. They really need facility upgrades.

DD was recruited by UVA awhile back and I remember thinking that the HS field she plays on was nicer than UVAs. Their softball field is basically an extension of the intramural fields. Great school academically, but they have a lot of room for improvement athletically to compete against the SEC, ACC and B1G.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Clint Myers still has a lot of Tina Deese's players on the roster, but most of them see little to no playing time and there are 30 players on the roster....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You have a very valid point. I am probably naive but I like to believe some people / institutions hold themselves to a higher standard.

And I don't claim to know how it is. I"m just throwing out hypotheticals. As others pointed out, they don't have enough time to recruit and replace all the commits that they might want to shed. I was asking more from a ''what would you do?'' standpoint. It's tough if you are a newly hired coach and the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes are already set.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
And I don't claim to know how it is. I"m just throwing out hypotheticals. As others pointed out, they don't have enough time to recruit and replace all the commits that they might want to shed. I was asking more from a ''what would you do?'' standpoint. It's tough if you are a newly hired coach and the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes are already set.

The new coaching staff will evaluate all of the current commits and make decisions to keep them or let them go. Hate it for the girls who are let go, as most schools are on 2018 and 2019 recruits, so there is very little money left for 2016 and 2017.

Mar 26, 2013
Returning players with signed multi-year deals aren't affected unless they've provided cause. The others are usually notified shortly after their season is over and must be notified by July 1.

2016's aren't an issue since they have signed NLI's.

The verbal commitments (i.e. 2017+) are truly worthless. A lot depends on whether the new coach(es) have other players they've recruited for another school that they can bring with them. If Miller gets another coaching position, he may get them an offer there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Saw James Madison beat LSU last night and will have to confess that before then I had no clue where James Madison was located. After seeing their facilities and learning they are located in VA, it is no wonder UVA cannot compete - James Madison and Virginia Tech make UVAs facilities look like REC league....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA