Big League World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Each All Star team is made up of eligible LL players from a local league. Players must meet a minimum number of games played in a regular season to be eligible.

Having just watched the equivalent 12U LLWS for softball last night, where the New Jersey team that lost it last year had EXACTLY the same players come and win it this year (according to the broadcast), I highly doubt that any of them were part of any normal All-Stars selection process from a local league.

Props to them for winning - the pitcher was great - but it ain't the normal rec ball All-Stars process...and LL needs to stop gilding the rose like some poor kid from the wrong side of the community tracks has more than a snowball's chance of getting on the August ESPN telecast...

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
plays for a small D1 school currently.

I wonder if her college coach even knew...and why does a D1 player feel the need to play in a LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES...not saying the rules don't allow it, just curious...seems to me she'd get more quality experience (that would help with college ball) playing in an off-season women's fastpitch league (assuming there is one where she lives)...

Feb 7, 2013
Having just watched the equivalent 12U LLWS for softball last night, where the New Jersey team that lost it last year had EXACTLY the same players come and win it this year (according to the broadcast), I highly doubt that any of them were part of any normal All-Stars selection process from a local league.

Props to them for winning - the pitcher was great - but it ain't the normal rec ball All-Stars process...and LL needs to stop gilding the rose like some poor kid from the wrong side of the community tracks has more than a snowball's chance of getting on the August ESPN telecast...

Yep, I remember a few years ago there was an organization from Waco, TX (relatively small town) that had won something like 6 or 7 world series titles over a 15 - 20 year period. It was basically a travel ball organization pretending to be a local, rec all-star team. There has to be more to the story that just good coaching.....someone's stacking a team to get on TV. Not really in the spirit of the LLWS program IMO.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
...and why does a D1 player feel the need to play in a LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES...not saying the rules don't allow it, just curious...seems to me she'd get more quality experience (that would help with college ball) playing in an off-season women's fastpitch league (assuming there is one where she lives)...

Because it's more fun than a women's fastpitch league.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Yep, I remember a few years ago there was an organization from Waco, TX (relatively small town) that had won something like 6 or 7 world series titles over a 15 - 20 year period. It was basically a travel ball organization pretending to be a local, rec all-star team. There has to be more to the story that just good coaching.....someone's stacking a team to get on TV. Not really in the spirit of the LLWS program IMO.

Aren't you required to live in a certain area in order to play for a particular LL program? I don't know all the rules.

But if players are living where they are supposed to live and participating in the rec leagues and making their all-star teams, I don't have an issue with it being 'stacked.' But if that's not how it works, then yeah, it's not in the spirit.

Dec 25, 2010
Do you want the player who was tossed representing your team? yourself? the other players on the team? the coaches? your HS? your college? Regardless of whether her actions were justifiable, my answer is NO.

eh....let's not get carried away. If this girl acts like this on a regular basis..sure, you're right.

Do you know this kid or are you forming your opinion on a 10 second video you saw..or an article you read?

We all make mistakes..

Dec 25, 2010
Aren't you required to live in a certain area in order to play for a particular LL program? I don't know all the rules.

But if players are living where they are supposed to live and participating in the rec leagues and making their all-star teams, I don't have an issue with it being 'stacked.' But if that's not how it works, then yeah, it's not in the spirit.

Have'nt benn involved with LL for a whle. When I was you had to play in 12 I belive? reular season games to be eligible for AS..around here at least.

Keep in mind that some areas get their players from ALOT bigger areas than others do. It depends on the league.

Ever wonder why Toms River is in the hunt (boys) almost every yr?

Oct 25, 2009
Our view from behind the plate... (will explain why the TV went fuzzy) ... was superb.

We watched the game from about 20 feet behind the backstop on the RH batters box side at the game. (we know the catcher on the East team and went to see her play.) It looked like a typical at bat until Alexis (the batter) said, "I'm not ready!" Then it became clear that there was some tension in the air.

It was a very tight game, and late into the game when the umpire called her out for (what he believed) having her front foot out of the box. After she reached second and the crowd noise subsided, she realized that she had been called out. She then ran to the front of the batters box and pointed to her front foot print on/near the line, shouting "I was in the box!" And the umpire replied, "Well you are out!" Then she immediately replied, "Well you suck!" And he said, "You're gone!" and made the ejection motion.

She then followed him toward the dugout and flipped him the bird, saying "F.......U" (at this point she/they were approx. 30 feet from my family which includes my 15 yr old daughter who plays the game.)

PS - Alexis plays for a small D1 school currently. Her softball resume is impressive, yet we are wondering if her current coach was there. And what he/she has to say to her...

You might want to go to Post 30 and watch the video again. He briefly followed her toward the dugout with her back to him at the time the video blurred. She doesn't seem to flip the bird.

Oct 25, 2009
Everyone needs to view the video in Post 30. Unless she was spinning around while having both hands on her helmet when she was taking it off I don't see where she had time to say anymore to him than she had already said. It appears the only thing she did was point at him and say you suck.

I can guarantee you that manners were not foremost in her mind or any other mind who watched the replay.

I don't doubt for a minute that this player will have a successful life. No one is perfect and this player is not that far out of line. As a coach I would talk with her about how to better handle it but I would have to respect her spirit. True competitors don't go down easy!

And again I would like to see evidence of the flip and the accusations of the vulgarity. They don't show in the clip I watched. And not because they were blurred out, either.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
People in positions like umpires have enough pressure on them, knowing they can lose their status by making honest mistakes. There is no way that man ruined his place in games of that status, on purpose, just because a player told him she wasn't ready to get back in the box. It is ridiculous.
As for the player showing restraint, there are plenty of ways to take up for oneself without lashing out at all in anger. It doesn't show toughness at all, it shows lack of good judgment at the time. I don't know her at all. I won't comment as to what kind of person she is, but we can't give applause to someone that handles authority that way, even if it's not in the person's nature. And yes, on the field the umpires are in authority over the players. It is very similar to doing the same thing to a parent.
The umpire was wrong, but only in judgment, not intent, and the player was wrong in response. It is that simple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan