Best way to pick All-Star Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
I don't think many of us me included have ever done an intra league All Star game. By picking the players the week before you hopefully get all the drama out of the way then it can all be for fun.

One thing I would be careful with though is if there is another All Star team picked for out of league play, I think everyone would assume it would come from this pool of players which could get complicate things but as others mentioned anytime there is the word All Star there will be drama.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
In the league that DD played in last year each team got to pick three girls. (Teams were previously divided up into divisions.) We let the girls on our team write out their top 3 and whoever got the most votes went to the all star game. Our team was the only one in the entire league that didn't send the 3 coaches kids.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
Intra-league only. They used to support an All-Star team that would play around the state against other All-Star's from other leagues. Then coaches started poaching the All-Stars and creating Club teams, so the league said "no more". I started on the board this year and presented an Intra-league idea and they liked it. We have our board meeting this Sunday to lock it down. It will only be one game on the night of Closing Ceremonies. Should be fun for the girls, I hope! That was the basis for the whole idea anyways.

Sep 29, 2014
I like the kids get to pick idea as long as you could be sure there would be two solid pitchers and catchers ideally per team. Sounds like you are trying to make this low key as possible which is good but still recognize the top performers, it won't be easy and there might be a little drama, although if kids write down top five it would get the coaches out of the dog house and parents would be hard pressed to complain. Then bat the line up stops the whining about hitting and force two or three innings in the field. I actually did one game with my league team at the end of the year where I let them fill in the positions, basically make a chart and they can fill in where they want to play, can't play same spot more than once, twice if after once through its blank again gotta rotate through OF twice and they have to sit out two innings or whatever, give P and C two innings in a row, with All Stars everyone should be OK anywhere and if they really were afraid of 3B they could pick something else...did I mention making this FUN!

This almost makes it a Player's All Star Game they get to pick players and positions they all bat it really becomes about them.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
In the league that DD played in last year each team got to pick three girls. (Teams were previously divided up into divisions.) We let the girls on our team write out their top 3 and whoever got the most votes went to the all star game. Our team was the only one in the entire league that didn't send the 3 coaches kids.

This reminds me of when my brother was playing LL baseball years ago. Each team picked 4 players for the all-star team. His coaches has the players vote on who would. My brother was one of the better players on the team. When the votes were tabulated by the coach, the coach's kid (who wasn't that good) made it and my brother didn't. All the kids (except the coach's kid) said they voted for my brother so they didn't understand why he wasn't on the all-star team.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Intra-league only. They used to support an All-Star team that would play around the state against other All-Star's from other leagues. Then coaches started poaching the All-Stars and creating Club teams, so the league said "no more".

Interesting dilemma. It's understandable that you want to preserve your league. Yet it's important for better/more dedicated players to know about and have club opportunities. That's life in a mid/small rec program.

Sep 28, 2015
All star teams are something that has cause a lot of pain and discord in our LL. When every single child picked belongs to coach - regardless of talent you know how they choose teams! It's also another reason why our teams never make it past the first round... We had one coach try to justify from "his books" how his kid had a better avg ...I was there his child got hit by more pitches than he hit. Guess they were hits in his book!
I always wanted to get the league to try to let the kids pick. I believe if an honest Person gave the instructions on how they should make their selections then you would definitely see more deserving kids make the team. But it never happened because if it did they know most of their kids wouldn't make the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would vote 'no' on kids choosing the teams. Might be guilty of stereotyping here, but girls are very relationship oriented and would rather be teammates with players they like the most than those who are most deserving softball-wise. And especially at the rec level, I don't think they care overly much about who is good and therefore aren't on the look out for it. I've observed kids to be unreliable judges of how good other kids are until they get a little older and more into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi