Best team in WI for getting exposure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Hi highandtight,

Consider everything already posted, as you really do have alot of options. The vetting process will be your most important consideration. Consider that exposure teams aren't necessarily your punched ticket to college. Video, legwork & relationships between club, college & pitching coaches should be considered. Has she attented any college camps yet?

As a 16U pitcher in the Valley, I can't imagine your daughter not having enough exposure by now in order to have a bit of club solicited communication already in your inbox.

Chris

Dec 7, 2011
We live in Appleton but are willing to drive. Northern Chicago would be an option.

Fellow Appletonian! - Cool!

My DD's story in this macro-HS-SB, but micro-TB-A area (TB-A = hitting national circuits) is the following:
1. DD at 11yrs old was recognized by another local TB team head coach (this was/is C or B level) as being constrained by our local travel teams level of play and that if she had bigger aspirations that we should contact a team down in Waukesha. A 2 hr 1-way drive.
2. I did, DD tried out, and the rest is history. We never stopped being with national level (TB-A) organizations since. These teams were always over an hour 1-way away. But never reached outside WI - we didn't think we ever needed to,... even though one year due to multiple circumstances and late entry we almost did.

DD & I drove down to Waukesha twice a week every week to gain practice/coaching at that level (it WAS a whole nutha level). Of course this was in addition to her pitch-coaching sessions. Then after two years with that team we found the WI Bandits family and that was a match the rest of the way through to getting hired by a college. Obviously I am strongly recommending reaching out to them in Horicon and like was mentioned, they have enough attendance in their organization that they can field teams that want to stay local-ish but also other teams that travel out of state much more.

As for the list I can think of for top TB-A teams in WI:
1. WI Bandits
2. Cyclones
3. Lightning
4. BATS

There are more local teams like Phoenix & Fox Rive Rush that have turned out successful teams in the outside of WI circuit but these are smaller "invite" type teams I believe.

There is this directory too => Club Directory

Good luck!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If your DD is serious about playing in college and is talented I would not limit yourself to just teams in WI. There are a lot of girls from out of state that play on some of the "Big 3" organizations in GA, and they do it for exposure. First year 16U is a HUGE year for recruiting, so now is the time to step up and explore all of your options.

Nov 18, 2013
Thank you for all you help. Has anyone heard of FirePro out of Stevens Point?

I've been impressed with the caliber of teams and their level of coaching. As far as exposure you're really not going to find much in Wisconsin. "Travel A" means something completely different on a national level than it does in WI or MN. MN has two programs that compete at an A level nationally. WI has zero. Chicago area has several so that might be your best bet.

To get on National A teams in other parts of the country you just need to get on their radar. You can get noticed by playing on teams in the same big tournaments, attending camps their players attend and getting a video online so they can see more of u. I'm sure there's others, but that's how DD's came about. Do your homework and make sure you're getting on one of their top teams. If you're at that level you won't be shelling out the 20k a year that's mentioned in another post. If you're paying that much you're just funding the top team.

Sep 18, 2011
Thank you JAD. How would we even get a chance on a team that far away?

I was thinking about this thread last night. My dd is in CA playing 18U PGF Premier. Last night she played against a team based in Alabama. I went to that team's website to see if I could see where their players are committed, and what jumped off the screen to me was that the starting pitcher was committed to the University of Wisconsin. Then I looked at her player profile and it appears that she is actually from Wisconsin. Lives there. And yet she plays travel ball for the Birmingham Thunderbolts. As MNDad has suggested, this is not as uncommon as you'd think.

Sep 18, 2011
They are a decent team. They played in a Showcase in the Twin Cities area last summer. I am not sure how much and where they travel. Where does your DD want to get exposure?

Fire Pro is very good. In that Twin Cities showcase they beat arguably two of the best teams in MN, Lady Lightning and Midwest Speed 16U Gold. They also lost a game 9-0 but overall they were very impressive.

Jul 31, 2011
Fire Pro fields some nice teams, but does not play a national schedule- definitely more regional. Nothing wrong with that mind you- it just depends on your goals. BATS plays a little better schedule than Fire Pro though. They typically go to ASA Nationals vs. some of the other WI teams that tend to go to Northern Nationals. As mentioned, Lightning is another option in WI. The closest team that competes on the National level is Illinois Chill Gold, based out of Northbrook, IL. Great program with great great leadership- Gerry is in it for all this right reasons!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez