Best announcer lines from CWS, 2017 edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I actually like Beth. Sort of the voice of softball. Anyway...

How about every change thrown last night bein labeled a flip? As the audience watches Parker's change tumble forward in slomo, S says, "she throws the flip change with spin opposite the direction of the pitch." Then proceeds to tell us that Gourley throws a flip, too.

Or my favorite... "tight spin". As opposed to loose spin?

Or the hopping rise ball, with perfect spin... a la bullet.

In all seriousness, her commentary (MS) is so wrong it is hurting this sport. I truthfully muted the tv last night in the eighth inning... 9 innings of "a picture speaks a thousand words." (That make sense). I actually feel bad about speaking out about it... my wife looks at me like I'm crazy... and I find myself becoming really negative when watching games.

Give some props to Amanda... I have no clue why she's not in the booth, she is so much more consistent... and although no one is perfect, she is doing a much, much better job.

I also liked "the mark of a good change-up, flat and straight."

Jan 22, 2011
In all seriousness, her commentary (MS) is so wrong it is hurting this sport. I truthfully muted the tv last night in the eighth inning... 9 innings of "a picture speaks a thousand words." (That make sense). I actually feel bad about speaking out about it... my wife looks at me like I'm crazy... and I find myself becoming really negative when watching games.

Give some props to Amanda... I have no clue why she's not in the booth, she is so much more consistent... and although no one is perfect, she is doing a much, much better job.

I also liked "the mark of a good change-up, flat and straight."

I thought I heard a pitching coach somewhere near the PA/NY border yelling at the TV after some of MS comments, but I thought it was Bill.

Agree I was hoping Amanda would be in the booth last night.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
My favorite was after Romero hit a single one of them said 'the key to that hit was staying on the back foot, she hit off her back leg.' Replay showed she rolled all the way up on her rear tippy toe.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Forget the inning or situation, but after Lowary had come back in. Florida batter had either bunted or slapped down 1B line. Lowary going full speed at ball as runner blazes past and she trys to glove flip, doesn't get it clean and runner safe. Either Smith or Mowins says "that's why you have to use two hands to field a ball".

edited to add: agree Scarborough is good, but ESPN needs to get the woman who does the local broadcasts for LSU during the season. She is hilarious and seems to really know her stuff.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283