Best announcer lines from CWS, 2017 edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
No way these announcers have slomotion replay in the booth. Too many errant commits about spins. Smith just called an obvious Barnhill low rise (by slomo) a fastball.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not sure who said it, but on the game-tying hit (the one where two Oklahoma players made incredible diving efforts), one of them said "That's a play that needs to be made." Really? Two players dove and couldn't get there, but that's a play that needs to be made? Sure, it would've been great for OU to make it, but I can't fault either outfielder on that one.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Mendoza just had a classic. With one out and a runner at 1st for Florida, Mendoza said that the hitter, "didn't want a base hit. She wants the big hit." Which I take to mean a home run. Wow. A base hit does a lot including putting pressure on the defense and pitcher.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
They just replayed the play from the 7th, and once again they said the ball -- the one TWO different outfielders dove for -- "should have been caught." No. That was a perfectly placed bloop single. Sucks for Oklahoma, but to put that on either of the outfielders is absurd.

May 3, 2014
Ugh the amount of times they mention getting in the front of the box to catch the rise before the late break and then showing slo mo replay showing no such break is just exhausting to listen to...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not sure who said it, but something about Barnhills "unique" pitching style. Noticed how once Barnhill started to get hit and lost the lead they finally stopped the worship service.

Had the volume turned down late in the game and expect that none mentioned Gourleys IP in the 15th. All three umpires were asleep and certainly blew the call.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Not sure who said it, but something about Barnhills "unique" pitching style. Noticed how once Barnhill started to get hit and lost the lead they finally stopped the worship service.

Had the volume turned down late in the game and expect that none mentioned Gourleys IP in the 15th. All three umpires were asleep and certainly blew the call.

I think they used the term "unorthodox" to describe her style at one point.

Jul 5, 2016
They just replayed the play from the 7th, and once again they said the ball -- the one TWO different outfielders dove for -- "should have been caught." No. That was a perfectly placed bloop single. Sucks for Oklahoma, but to put that on either of the outfielders is absurd.

To be fair, one of the announcers later noted that if the outfielders had been playing at normal depth instead of at the edge of the warning track, they would have had a much better change of catching the blooper.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And when the 3 run HR was hit, they talked about hanging the ball too much over the plate.
Heck, the legs were gone on these pitchers - and the announcers expect them to be able to field, too?
There is never any mention of the catchers. I wish they would take a catcher out, once in awhile. I was hoping that the days were gone of only using one catcher. My nephew (that is 54) can barely walk, now, due to marathon catching experiences. It didn't start to hit him, until he was in his 40s.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When both teams are giving it their all, deep into extra innings, comes the comment that this game will be won by the team that has more passion.

Guess talent is overrated and that Florida didn't have the passion last night :rolleyes:.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00