Beginner DD comments welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Anyone have any success with the "Stand 3 inches from a wall and pitch so that if your arm circle is off-line your fingers will get scraped" drill?

Yes, and you can turn the other way to the glove side and work the glove, to keep it in line and not swimming out. I love wall drills, these are drills they can do alone too, without a ball in case they do not have a parent catch.

Apr 13, 2011
Keep those wall drills coming! Actually, while DD has what appears to be a plethora of mechanical flaws which lead to other mechanical flaws, make-up moves, compensating actions etc., glove-hand swimming is not one of them. Yet.

Feb 17, 2011
Yes, and you can turn the other way to the glove side and work the glove, to keep it in line and not swimming out. I love wall drills, these are drills they can do alone too, without a ball in case they do not have a parent catch.

Wall drills are great, can be done anytime, and help get reps in the critical area of establishing an arm circle. Shoot my dd did them in the hallway outside her bedroom with her glove and a nerf ball or a ball of tube socks lol. As for the leaning over.... emphasis on a straight front leg and keeping her chin behind her belly button worked for my dd. As she straightens up she will have to establish a new release point and the belly button is the cue that clicked with my dd at this stage of learning. Good luck on a very worthwhile journey.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Her timing is definitely off. She has alot more speed hiding there that she callot tap into at this point.

For starters; Be sure that at the exact same time the ball comes forward of the hip, so does the stride foot. Her foot is coming forward before the ball starts coming up in front. Speed up the arm circle in front as it is coming up and make sure that when the stride foot touches down, the ball is at around 1:00 to 1:30.

Start with that.

Hal

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Apr 13, 2011
First off thanks to everyone for their posts.

Hal - I am watching the video and trying to understand what you are saying. AIs it that her arm is trailing her stride foot on the upswing and that her arm is late (11-12:00) when her foot lands?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
She is starting her upswing a little late and it is a little slow on the upswing. Use a little more UMPH in getting up there and keep a slight bend in the elbow. Dont let her draw it back smf cut the front of the circle off, just start it a little sooner and make it quicker. THAT is what is holding her back and I would bet she feels it too.

Coach Hal's Foundation Method

Apr 13, 2011
I see what you are saying - I think this is due to her concentrating on pushing forward hard and thinking that after she gets going then start her arm rotation. We have now canned the bending-over at address stance which might help get her sequencing better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd