bat weight?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Just the same issues you face w/ any bat - they all have a limited number of hits in them before breaking or going dead. If DD is in love w/ her gamer, pick up a used model of the same bat and use it for BP to save the gamer. Once they get bigger and stronger, IMO its not realistic to get more than a year out of a bat if its used for games and practices.

I have heard the R/T are notorious for getting easily dented so I was concerned that the machine balls might not be the best thing for the life of the bat. Right now I have DD use her old composite bat for machine pitch even though its a slightly different drop and balance than the R/T.

Oct 14, 2008
Bouldersdad ... we found that you basically have to rotate the RT ... it dents/deforms/wrinkles, and if you don't rotate it the deformation process speeds up. One of the advantages of this bat is that it teaches a hitter to continually rotate their barrel.

I'm only speculating with the following ... I question if Anderson made a change in the design somewhere around 2005. I remember the rattle issue, but the RTs I had afterward didn't hold up quite so well. It isn't like I cracked one or two either ... and it isn't like I don't like the barrel ... I do, which is why I kept purchasing them despite the lack of durability.

The 04/05 were one of the culprits that caused the new ball exit speed law. Although being metal and not composite it fell under different guidelines and was grandfathered in. Late 05 Anderson re-tooled and production was a little slow in the late 6,s, to my knowledge I really havent seen very many if any 06,s. 07 was the first year of the new and improved bullett proof cap and new metals, that you see today. 05 was the last year for the really Hot Andersons, They had to not only retool but make a basic change to the concept of the bats, in simple terms they were dumbed down. Not as much end load in the 07,s and up, the old ones were notorious for 2.5 oz or better end load, you would buy one say a 34/25 and the thing wound up weighing sometimes 27 oz or better. I defiantly agree with you on the durability of the newer vs older tecs. There are a boat load of 5,s running around that are fetching 5 to 700 dollars NIW off e bay. A new Anderson, well if youve never used the old then youll be happy with the new one.

I did talk to a D1 coach a few years back, that when he saw the dd had her 05 he commented that it was banned by NCAA1.......... and for very good reason, The R/T in the hands of a true power hitter was no longer a bat it became a weapon. Hers is now sitting quietly on her shelf in her bedroom. I miss the sound of a 05 R/T crushing a ball on a warm summer,s day.

Tim

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have heard the R/T are notorious for getting easily dented so I was concerned that the machine balls might not be the best thing for the life of the bat. Right now I have DD use her old composite bat for machine pitch even though its a slightly different drop and balance than the R/T.

I do think its beneficial to use the same length, drop, and balance bat in practice and games. IME, the RTs wave up (which is desirable and confirms that the walls are working independently), but denting hasn't been an issue I've observed personally. Apparently it has w/ others, but I don't know the specifics re #swings, ball compression, temperature, personal, team, or cage bat, FP or SP etc. If you buy a NIW RT w/ a receipt it comes w/ a 12-month replacement warrantee so you're covered for a year. I bought a non-game legal dented RT for $45 from a guy who used it for SP, and DD uses that for the cage and saves her same size '07 RT for games. When that goes, i'll prolly just get her the last year's RT model (cheaper than the current year) unless Mr. Anderson decides to offer a FP version of the Nano Omega (endloaded) sometime soon.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tim a local coach has an 04 and a 05 RT for sale. His dd can't use them at Urbana this year. If you know of anyone , he has them for sale. They are hard to come across . We have some older RT's that we used in the machine and have hit baseballs and softballs for years and no dents. Now we have had issues in cold weather with the RT's denting.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Oct 14, 2008
After reading the approved bat list the 04 is banned. You are correct the 05 is not he apparently he had his years mixed up, The 5 was grandfathered in under the new rules.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA