bat weight?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
My DD needs a new bat and I would like some advise before purchase.

DD is 5'4" and about 160, she currently uses an Easton Synergy Clarity 33" 23oz. It has been suggested she use a heavier bat -9 or -8. I have done some reading online but so many reviews (with I suspect vendor reviews added in) only confuse me more. To add to my issue the selection in my area is primarily what Dick's carries

I can get ahold of a Stealth Clarity 33/22 new for $130. At the shop this bat is available she has also tried a Demarini CF5 32" -9

Any suggestions of the pros and cons of these bats and any others?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The Stealth Clarity is lighter than her current bat, so I would not consider that one. Does she have some teammates with heavier bats she can try out? Are there batting cages/training facilities that have demo bats she can swing/hit in the cages?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just my opinion, but what I have seen, and read reviews of, claritys are not great. You can find xenos or cf4 in last years model for around $150.

Again my opionion is that people tend to push using as heavy a bat as a girl can handle. How do you decide a 23 oz is too light? Does she have too much bat speed? A lot of balls have gone park with lighter bats than 23oz.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The kids I work with like the Demarini Insane. Feels like a balanced bat, but swings like an end loaded bat. No one can tell you how heavy of a bat to use, unless they have seen her swing a bat. I know everyone wants to say height and weight = such and such, but I have small kids swinging heavier bats than big kids. It is all about the swing path and how good a swing she has.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well put SBF ..... a batter with a good swing can generally handle swinging a heavier barrel, than can a batter with a poor swing. Those that power their swing with their arms tend to need having their swing subsidized with a lighter bat ... and those that have a more appropriate swing can handle a greater range in barrel weights.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
There are two batting cages with a few demo bats. Unfortunately what they have is very hit or miss, which only adds to the confusion. She tried a CF5 -9, but it was only a 32", also tried a CF5 -10. Other bats she has swung in stores and "likes" are frenzy 4.0 (-9 and -10) and the new Stealth.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
Just my opinion, but what I have seen, and read reviews of, claritys are not great. You can find xenos or cf4 in last years model for around $150.

Again my opionion is that people tend to push using as heavy a bat as a girl can handle. How do you decide a 23 oz is too light? Does she have too much bat speed? A lot of balls have gone park with lighter bats than 23oz.

I have read lots of reviews (for all kinds of bats) and find both good and bad for every bat. I find it very hard to figure out which are honest and which have an agenda.

My DD goes to a hitting coach, who I asked for a suggestion, to replace the current bat before it wears out. His only suggestion was as heavy a she can handle.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Just Bats . com solves your availability issue. I have bought a few bats from them and the service is good. Figure out what you need, and if Dick's doesn't have it. Order it on line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA