bat stingggg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
Okay this is the first time I have really heard my dd complain about bat sting with this bat. Easton Synergy SC8B. She has loved this bat for over two seasons.

I looked over the bat to see if it was cracked, could not really find anything. Have any of your daughters/players ever complained about vibration later on after using a bat they liked.

She doesnt want a new bat lol she has a brand SC8B sitting on the shelf LOL......So I am just wondering as they break in/ or break apart if they start to vibrate worse?????

Maybe the original grip starts to not be as effective even though it looks fine????

Feb 4, 2010
Amy,

good point! or maybe her swing is really off...I will really have to look at swing in more detail. She probably has not outgrown it shes only 5'0" swinging a 32-22. but maybe she is just not in the slot. I will definitely look for that. Thanks Amy for that different perspective......

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are all kinds of batting gloves out there but my dd uses the Palm Guard Batting Gloves. They provide so much protection. Really, those are the only batting gloves she has ever worn. Take a look at them sometime.

2010%20Palmgard%20Xtra%20Pic.jpg

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DDs combat seemed dead last night despite swinging hard, she said it really hurt also. Must be something to the wear out and vibration thing. She has only used it one season.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
DDs combat seemed dead last night despite swinging hard, she said it really hurt also. Must be something to the wear out and vibration thing. She has only used it one season.

In my opinion it is in the grip first.

Look at how she is holding the bat and do not say anything to her and then say do not move or let go of the bat and I will bet you the bat is in the back of her top hand where the thumb and index finger meet.

Some where there is a picture of one of our girls showing how we hold the bat in front of the index finger pad.. Some of our girls take the rubber bands they use to tie their pony tails up with and cut it and tie it on the index finger so the knot is on the palm side of the hand and then put the glove on so it makes a lump and they can feel it until they get use to it and how it feels and IT KEEPS THE BAT OUT OF THE BACK OF THE HAND!

Try this....stretch out your right hand palm up and then take your index and thumb of the left hand and hold your forearm with the index and thumb circling it.

Now move your ring and social finger inward towards ( make a fist) the palm of your outstretched hand and you should feel the muscles activated on both sides of your forearm.

Now repeat and only move the index and thumb and you will feel just a little activation on he thumb side of the outstretched hand.

We call the ring and social finger grippers and the thumb and index finger balancers.

You can hold the bat with the ring and social fingers only and no one can pull the bat out of your hand.

This is why we use the grip we do as the bat is out of the back of your hand and and is in front of your hand and your wrist is flexed downward at contact ie palm up and palm down.

Are her hands inside the ball? Probably not or the hands would not be stinging.

Look at her bat and you should see the area where she is hitting the ball the most.

Then clean the bat using Soft Scrub and a Teflon scrubbing pad and it will look brand knew and by the time you are done with tee work you will see the difference!

See if she can hit a ball up the middle of a marked net?

Take white coaches tape and put a layer on the bat. Then take one ball and use a magic marker and draw a one inch diameter solid circle and pit a couple of coats on it and set it on the tee so the dot can be struck and see where it leaves a mark on the bat and then put a 1,2,3 etc each time she swings. If you change something in her grip or swing mechanics put a C next to the number so you will know what it was. Troubling shooting made easy with a method to see what works.

In my opinion it is either the grip or she is casting the hands over the plate and it is not the bat.

I do not Easton however the Turbo Slot Gloves are the best as to teaching grip. You simply pinch the pad with the thumb against the index finger and the bat is automatically in the index finger pad. Many think the pad is for laying the bat in that area....Nooooooo!

Teach her how to grip a hammer and you will have done more to help her understand how to grip the bat in her top hand.

Then teach her the hand over drill for extension and you will have made huge improvements in a short amount of time in my opinion.

Thanks Howard

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Great advice Hitter. But I still think the bat is dead or cracked. DD had a great hitting coach last year (retired mlb). She has great hitting style, and even does use turbo slot gloves. Never complained of sting before and last night the balls looked like sponge balls coming off of the bat. Still thanks for info, we can use it.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Great advice Hitter. But I still think the bat is dead or cracked. DD had a great hitting coach last year (retired mlb). She has great hitting style, and even does use turbo slot gloves. Never complained of sting before and last night the balls looked like sponge balls coming off of the bat. Still thanks for info, we can use it.

If it is a composite bat, unless it is cracked and you can see it usually the bat is good to go.

Take a fishing line and tie it to the knob of the bat and let it hang down and gently tap the bat starting at the bat head and it will bounce and sound like a thud until you get it in the sweet part and you will hear the difference in sound and less vibrations. Look on either side of the area for visual cracks. However if it is making a good sound look down at the handle especially if it a two piece or at the end cap for a crack.

Composites usually just give way and there is no warning which is why I usually look at grip and hand path if it suddenly starts.

Thanks Howard

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks Hitter, I will try that. I looked it over quickly last night, end cap looked ok, didn't see any cracks, but there was a chip out of it about the size of a pea near the head. Do you think that could affect it?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks Hitter, I will try that. I looked it over quickly last night, end cap looked ok, didn't see any cracks, but there was a chip out of it about the size of a pea near the head. Do you think that could affect it?

The chip should not be that big of factor as you are telling us.

I have seen end caps pop out or the bat break in half or break part way and still be together however on composites it usually is fail or it is good.

I have to go on your observation the grip and hand path are good! A visual of the bat and there is nothing obvious would make grip and hand path suspect however for me.

I have also sat in a chair and laid the bat on my chest and checked the flex in the bat and if it was cracked a little it will break especially the two piece bats. I just lay my elbows on the bat and hold it with my hands and pull the bat towards my chest.

Thanks Howard

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez