bat speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
exit speed

Just to compare. .. We are finishing up at a hitting clinic and DD had a ball exit speed of 69 using a radar gun. This is the first clinic we've been that did this. They also used a lot of heavy wood bats and speed bats at different stations.

Sep 18, 2011
DD was measured by the OnDeck folks last May when she was 14. She got three swings. Her bat speed was 71 and her ball exit speed was 67. I understand that the narrow gap is a good thing to have. That was the last time she was measured. I don't know too many folks who have that kind of equipment.

Oct 10, 2011
I just had a great conversation with the owner of sports sensors. What a nice guy! Anyway, he clarified some things for me about swing speed and ball exit speed. I've seen articles saying ball exit speed is faster, and other places saying it is slower than swing speed. The short and sweet version is that ball exit speed will always be faster than swing speed on a squarely hit ball. Swing speed is a better measurement because of all the variables that happen when hitting a ball. When ball exit speed is taken with a radar gun, even a vary slight angle difference in the ball flight/angle of the gun/distance of radar gun etc can really affect the readings. He talked about vector angles and physics way over my head lol. Recently he had a chance to test a lot of high school girls and college girls. Most of the high school girls were in the 50ish range and the college girls, mid 60s. He also tested Lisa Fernandez at 72 recently ( he also told me some other big names but Fernandez had the fastest out of them). We also got to talk about overload/under load training which was pretty much in line with what has been discussed here...stay within about 15-20% of game bat.
Anyway, it was cool and we're planning to talk in the future.

Oct 10, 2011
This has got me thinking. What pitch speed and bat weight assumptions are involved??? 68 mph w/ a wiffleball bat will yield less than 218 ft, more like 21.8 ft IMHO.

At Coastal Carolina University, they said that you needed somewhere around 70 MPH ball exit speed to clear their 12 ft fence at 220 ft in center field.
The guy at Sports Sensors said there is a formula that takes pitch speed and swing speed to calculate ball exit speed and distance for a baseball and softball but that again is with a perfectly square hit and no other variables.
Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2010
I read the first posts of this thread back in November, so a Swing Speed Radar went on the Christmas list. I got one, so I took it to an indoor practice last weekend and set it on a bucket behind one of the tee stations. They are 16U, but all are 14 year olds except one. The speeds listed below are an average of 10 swings by each player and using their own bats, so there were different bat weights being used to generate the totals. Here are the results for the 8 girls who were there...

71 mph - 14 year old with a 33/23 (top speed 74)
71 mph - 16 year old 32/22 (top speed 76)
65 mph - (top speed 69)
62 mph - (top speed 65)
61 mph - (top speed 66)
60 mph - (top speed 63)
59 mph - (top speed 62)
58 mph - (top speed 63)

The first score was my DD. She works tee as a religion 4-5 times a week and has registered a 78 mph at home. Or so she says, I wasn't there...the garage is cold this time a year :)

So far, DD has charted averages at home with different bat weights as...

73 mph with a 32/22 SCN1B.
72 mph with her 33/23 gamer SCN1B. (This one has the most data)
71 mph with a old 32/25 I have.
And 68 mph with a 34/28 that I used to use for slow pitch.

I hope our small sample of data helps out in some way.

I want to throw out that the instruction manual that comes with the Swing Speed Radar is clear to point out that the radar picks up the tip of the bat as the reading because it is moving the fastest. "If you move down 4-6 inches to the sweet spot to take the readings, they would be 15-20% slower readings", according to the manual. The Swing Speed Radar comes with a set of foil wraps that you can put on your bat at the sweet spot and it is supposed to take the reading off the foil, but we haven't tried that yet. I don't know what everyone else measured when they tested to get the numbers posted earlier in the thread, but I've not seen foil on bats in the videos I have watched. So we registered at the tip of the bat to get the above speeds, as I assume most people do.

Oct 10, 2011
I read the first posts of this thread back in November, so a Swing Speed Radar went on the Christmas list. I got one, so I took it to an indoor practice last weekend and set it on a bucket behind one of the tee stations. They are 16U, but all are 14 year olds except one. The speeds listed below are an average of 10 swings by each player and using their own bats, so there were different bat weights being used to generate the totals. Here are the results for the 8 girls who were there...

71 mph - 14 year old with a 33/23 (top speed 74)
71 mph - 16 year old 32/22 (top speed 76)
65 mph - (top speed 69)
62 mph - (top speed 65)
61 mph - (top speed 66)
60 mph - (top speed 63)
59 mph - (top speed 62)
58 mph - (top speed 63)

The first score was my DD. She works tee as a religion 4-5 times a week and has registered a 78 mph at home. Or so she says, I wasn't there...the garage is cold this time a year :)

So far, DD has charted averages at home with different bat weights as...

73 mph with a 32/22 SCN1B.
72 mph with her 33/23 gamer SCN1B. (This one has the most data)
71 mph with a old 32/25 I have.
And 68 mph with a 34/28 that I used to use for slow pitch.

I hope our small sample of data helps out in some way.

I want to throw out that the instruction manual that comes with the Swing Speed Radar is clear to point out that the radar picks up the tip of the bat as the reading because it is moving the fastest. "If you move down 4-6 inches to the sweet spot to take the readings, they would be 15-20% slower readings", according to the manual. The Swing Speed Radar comes with a set of foil wraps that you can put on your bat at the sweet spot and it is supposed to take the reading off the foil, but we haven't tried that yet. I don't know what everyone else measured when they tested to get the numbers posted earlier in the thread, but I've not seen foil on bats in the videos I have watched. So we registered at the tip of the bat to get the above speeds, as I assume most people do.
Swing Speed Radar for baseball and softball.
I double checked because I thought it measured the barrel, not the tip... Also ours didn't come with any foil so that's interesting.
I must say you have good taste in bats:)

Nov 9, 2013
2020 Vision---Thanks for sharing your bat speed measurements. I was one of the first posters to this thread and recommended the Swing Speed Radar. Your results are very consistent with my findings over the past 15 years of using that device. Your hitters who topped out in the mid-70s undoubtedly have sound hitting mechanics. My top college softball hitter has bat speed in the low 80s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01