bat speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Before I pull the trigger on this bat. ..One more question:)
Didn't I read somewhere that some studies say that using a heavy bat can slow swing speed... or was that just If used for warm up before batting in a game?

There was a study that claimed a reduced swing speed in the swing immediately following swings with a heavier bat. The suggestion being for those that swung a heavy bat in the on-deck circle to perform a dry swing with their regular bat prior to their at-bat.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Before I pull the trigger on this bat. ..One more question:)
Didn't I read somewhere that some studies say that using a heavy bat can slow swing speed... or was that just If used for warm up before batting in a game?

Weight on the handle like a pro cut would be better than this...

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
I second handle weight like Pro Cut, DD started using this in the spring and has improved her power significantly. She is using 12oz on the knob and 12oz on the handle. Lucky enough to live near the owner of Pro Cut and this afternoon DD will have her first hitting lesson with Tim.

Oct 19, 2009
It takes more than bat speed to make a hitter, while bat speed is good being able to apply the most amount of force at the proper point and time to the ball with the best leverage possible and proper contact is what you are looking for.

Vision, mechanics and timing, it can be as simple as that IMO.

Fantastic Lessons I've Learned from Top College Coaches « Softball Excellence

Jay Miller: Mississippi State University

Bat Speeds for Hitters of all levels - Test bat speed with a speed gun from behind or in front of a batting T. This method, while it really tests the ball speed it's only 2-3 mph slower than the method that actually tests bat speed using a small meter on a tripod.

Olympic Hitters - 68 to 78 mph (Crystal Bustos is 78 mph)

College Hitters - 62 to 70 mph

High School Hitters - 50 to 65 mph

Seems I remember that Bustos bat speed was reported to be from 79-81 in another article, don't know for sure I only seen the results.

I've seen TN, AL and UTC use the pro-cut before.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I have a swing speed radar, can't vouch for the accuracy, and maybe mine is skewed high. But on a 10U team 40s was pretty typical. A few of the girls could hit low 50s, and the best hitter could go over 60.

BTW, see how easy it is to provide a simple answer to a question without getting all preachy? The guy didn't say bat speed was the most important thing, or ask anything about the sequence. Why does every hitting thread have to devolve?

Oct 10, 2011
IM ... if you are into performing nightly dry swings with wood, then consider the Mizuno 32-in/34-oz training bat. It's excellent ... the short length provides plenty of control, and the weight feels near perfect for training with for that length.
homerun-mizuno-baseball-bat-340241-maple-training-bat.jpg
Ended up getting this because I got such a good deal and it's quite nice! Her trainer just bought a bunch of swingxp bats to use also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad