Bat Speed vs. Exit Speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Just not down below the ball and then back-up (loop) ;)

I3lbNro.gif
Exactly.. point of intersection would be minimal(down below the ball and then back-up (loop)).

Apr 11, 2015
When you tout the top illustration. There’s is no doubt you want dump the barrel on plane and swing up.
HOPEFULLY we both know by now you shouldn’t use that illustration anymore. But you can’t stop. Because it fooled you long ago.
Silly boy, the illustration is a depiction of a concept (plane matching), and not a perfectly illustrated "do this" thing...that everybody but apparently yourself knows, and understands. You too funny. :ROFLMAO:

You keep touting barrel behind the ball. That’s not what happens. So there goes your hitting philosophy. You don’t get the barrel in the zone as early as possible. You create a path that will let you commit the barrel when needed whether that be earlier or later..
You're right, nobody want to get the barrel "behind" the ball...they want it to the side, above, or below it...to slice it, shank it, foul it off, drive it into the dirt, pop it, or what? You tell me.

the fact of the matter is we gets the hands on plane and catch the ball when we commit the barrel. Not as early as possible.
Oh yippee, another guy hoping to make an opinion fact. Good luck with that. (y)

if this was a PM I would understand the ‘common sense’ theme. But it’s not so you must be more obvious with what you write ! I thought that’s using common sense right? 🤷🏻‍♂️😆 #busted
You'd have been better off if it were a PM, that way you wouldn't make yourself look so silly publicly. But go ahead, you're on a roll...don't let me stop you now. Like I said above....you too funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

EDIT: This is hilarious...
when Teds example is in his book ? It literally is literal. Right? Mud took it literally. Just saying. 😆
...the guy who just posted this...
Unless your getting eephus pitches that illustration of plane is wrong.
...and took the illustration as a literal depiction, instead of the simple plane matching concept it was meant to depict...is now trying to back stroke out of the pool by trying to say someone else made the mistake, and not him. Hahahahaha!!! Where have I seen this ploy before....hmmm, let me think. :unsure:😁

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Silly boy, the illustration is a depiction of a concept (plane matching), and not a perfectly illustrated "do this" thing...that everybody but apparently yourself knows, and understands. You too funny. :ROFLMAO:

You're right, nobody want to get the barrel "behind" the ball...they want it to the side, above, or below it...to slice it, shank it, foul it off, drive it into the dirt, pop it, or what? You tell me.

Oh yippee, another guy hoping to make an opinion fact. Good luck with that. (y)

You'd have been better off if it were a PM, that way you wouldn't make yourself look so silly publicly. But go ahead, you're on a roll...don't let me stop you now. Like I said above....you too funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah. That’s it. Condescension is weak in any situation. But you continually play this card. Guess you’re just weak.

May 12, 2016
No argument there, was going to mention that, but then thought most would understand what Ted was trying to convey with the illustration (plane matching), and not that it was technically correct (since baseball pitches don't come in like that). Sorry, not time I'll try to remember the complete audience, not just the ones with common sense. My bad. :ROFLMAO:
Common sense is a good thing.. we should also use that when viewing demos displaying isolated movements

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hillarious !!!
No wonder i dont read these hitting threads very often.
But i do see the entertainment value... ;)

ENJOY

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
Question for my peeps who look at metrics often:

1) If a player has a 65 mph bat speed, I would expect her to have exit speed of (blank). Exit speed is faster than bat speed, right?

2) Does it seem right to you that some really good D1 hitters have bat speed meas by Blast Motion in the upper 50’s lower 60’s?

3) DD was at a practice last week and had 8 tee swings where the coach moved tee location around and they were hitting on a field with 200’ fences. All of dd’s swings were 66-70 mph. Would a screen shot of that be the kind of thing she should put in an email to a college coach?

I have been watching webinars where d1 coaches are posting Blast Motion data for their players. I have been surprised that bat speed is all over the place.
Blast does a bad job of measuring bat speed in my opinion. It is the measuring device for On Deck Softball and Figures into the Alister Index so it is important to know. A stand alone swing speed radar from Sport Sensors Inc gives higher readings and is probably a truer measure of bat speed. My understanding is a Blast uses speed at middle of the bat and Swing Speed radars registers end of bat. Exit speed off a tee should be higher than Blast swing speed. 70mph exit speed would be considered good, some high school girls are closing on 80mph. Find somewhere to get her officially measured. On Deck would be the biggest name but their are others who will also measure. On Deck hold more weight than most but Twitter is all the rage now. Pocket radar, swing speed radar do you own measuring and tweet away.

Jul 31, 2019
You cant be serious. You are telling people to limit their bat speed?? I must be reading this wrong.
You can create a LOT of bat speed with a really bad swing pushing the barrel and rolling hands. It does not translate into power because your disconnected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles