Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Not sure I understand your argument or disagreement with what I wrote, or what it is you're trying to explain that I haven't already stated.

I never said that the hips don't turn first, or that they don't face their target in both hitting and throwing....in fact, I even use the cue "hit the ball with your rear hip" to get hitters thinking about finding direction to the ball before they use it as a fulcrum point to leverage the swing against. So I'm a bit baffled as to what it is you're still attempting to argue against, or disagree with. 🤔
I may have focused on this from your post:
also absent in her swing...there isn't any "leverage" that HL hitters get from using their lower half of the body (hips/legs) to leverage their upper half of the body (torso) against at contact during the swing.

and this:
the hitter never used or applied her hips in the actual movement(s) of swinging the bat. Yes, she did turn them, and used them to run through the box, but she never used them to stop and leverage the swing against.

and this:
Yes, there are swings where the obliques will lead the hips....

WkbkI7t.gif

.... and will be the primary mover/swinger of the bat. Turn and run, and use the rear obliques to pull the rear shoulder, arms, hands, and bat "down to" the ball.

But I may have misunderstood.:unsure:

Jul 29, 2013
DJ throws against his hips and legs. The hips and legs stabilize so the throw can be made with direction.. The core turns on top of the hips. Try it. You might find something ‘new’ to play with.

View attachment 17825
We need to see what his last movement was before he left the ground. I see his left hip moving rearward the entire way up....especially just before he starts his arm moving to the ball. I'd bet his left foot left the ground last and he was pushing it rearward to rotate his hips CCW.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DJ throws against his hips and legs. The hips and legs stabilize so the throw can be made with direction.. The core turns on top of the hips. Try it. You might find something ‘new’ to play with.

View attachment 17825

What is your definition of "core"? In my opinion the move in this clip is predominantly a pec, delt, and lat movement with several other associated muscles.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What is your definition of "core"? In my opinion the move in this clip is predominantly a pec, delt, and lat movement with several other associated muscles.

looking at the results can hinder ones view ie. bat path is a result of the cores directional force transmission to the proximal and distal parts of the body. To get across your body (rotate) efficiently, reciprocal movement must be the driver. Reciprocal rotation is the lower rotating against the upper diagonally. The core in my post above was meant as the pelvis up to the rib cage . I use ‘torso’ or ‘trunk’ if I’m speaking of the entire upper body in most cases. Sure other parts are used. The body works as 1 system. But if we are talking rotation, the core is what I believe drives the strongest and most efficient rotation.

1590091284417.png

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
looking at the results can hinder ones view ie. bat path is a result of the cores directional force transmission to the proximal and distal parts of the body. To get across your body (rotate) efficiently, reciprocal movement must be the driver. Reciprocal rotation is the lower rotating against the upper diagonally. The core in my post above was meant as the pelvis up to the rib cage . I use ‘torso’ or ‘trunk’ if I’m speaking of the entire upper body in most cases. Sure other parts are used. The body works as 1 system. But if we are talking rotation, the core is what I believe drives the strongest and most efficient rotation.

So X-factor Stretch... Is your focus on the slings? If so, how do they power the swing?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

FP, do you see the core contraction here ?

DRNIq3A.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So X-factor Stretch... Is your focus on the slings? If so, how do they power the swing?

They power the ‘turn’ .. the rest of the body helps swing the bat too. The legs and hips mainly. If the legs don’t stabilize it’s just a puff of power or a merry go round. No direction. Imo it’s hit against the front and back leg as well as the hips. Try throwing a med ball without rotating from a batting stance underhand as far as you can. If spinning, close off a bit and try again.

you mentioned Yeager this morning... remember the bucket drill he did? Mimic that without rotating. Thats the feel for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi