Baseball's Pitching dilemma (Josh Beckett)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I, too, would love to see a bullpen. A fresh arm is a fresh arm. There was a little series of promotional interviews before the WCWS got under way - one of the girls, in commenting on her favorite player as a kid, noted Monica Abbott because "we were all pitchers when we were 10" - well, what if they remained pitchers? I truly agree that it would elevate the game to the next level.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If they had a pitch count or game limit of some nature that would bring the whole team concept back instead of a dominant pitcher with good support being the life blood of a team. You would have to have a couple pitchers and better defense to make up different capabilities.

While we are at it, how about a limit on home runs and runs per inning to keep things close. And for that matter using a tee instead of a pitcher would solve the problem completely.

Mar 28, 2013
Watching the last to innings of the Kentucky wcws game really was sad. All those pitches all those weeks nunley shut down the team giving up 3 hits in the first five innings then getting hit by 8 out of the next ten batters to blow a 7-0 lead. they reported the coach said she would kill me if I pulled her. Well who the heck is the coach and the player here. That coach should really look at how she set up her stud to fail in the end. Hopefully the sour taste of losing will help the coaches see the need for a plan other than riding our ace into the ground. No rules created by some board are needed just some good old fashion common sense.

Dec 25, 2010
If they had a pitch count or game limit of some nature that would bring the whole team concept back instead of a dominant pitcher with good support being the life blood of a team. You would have to have a couple pitchers and better defense to make up different capabilities.

Little League baseball has a pitch count, and it doesn't really "bring the whole team concept back". What happens is the team that has the deepest pitching wins their World Series every year...not the best team necessarily

Apr 16, 2013
Little League baseball has a pitch count, and it doesn't really "bring the whole team concept back". What happens is the team that has the deepest pitching wins their World Series every year...not the best team necessarily

I've been involved with rec baseball for a few years now. Novel concept here, but... get this, the best team wins. Crazy I know. The difference is the best TEAM wins, not the team with the best 2 studs in the league. If you've got 2 games in a week, you have to use your pitching very carefully and will most likely go through at least 6 pitchers. 3 games in a week? You'll have your hands full deciding with 9 kids will be pitching. Comparing the LLWS to any average rec team is laughable at best. The teams that win state and nationals in the LLWS are no different than the best hand picked travel teams out there that's been playing together since T-ball. They play travel all year long until All-Star time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd