Baseball vs. Softball Swings - Any differences?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
I don't really understand compact but I do understand quick from decision to contact and I do understand the need for a shorter momentum development/stride since fp pitchers don't take a big windup.

The interesting question from a strategy/moneyball perspective is the swinging for the fences vs singles strategy. Moneyball makes the point, and stat wonks confirm, the single most important hitting stat is obp which at first glance would seem to confirm your preference.... BUT....and this is where it gets interesting. It's not just hits that lead to obp. The people with high obp tend to have a lot of walks. So who gets walked a lot? Hitters who have rbi power AND a good eye. It turns out, the thing to do to get on base, speed demon slappers excepted, is just that, be a hitter with at least fence power or better and have a good eye. Make the pitchers pitch you so carefully they pitch you into a walk. Then when they make a mistake, remind them why they pitch you so carefully. Babe Ruth and Cochran of ASU being cases in point. Cochran changed the game before she walked onto the field. Given the short fences in fp, hr power is very realistic for a lot of kids. F4 for the 6A team that won Texas Tapps is not a big girl by any means and I've seen her go yard off good pitching twice in one game. But she has a GREAT swing. You don't necessarily have to go yard. Doubles change everything. A lead off double is like instantly being in ITB and we all know what pressure that puts on a defense. With runners on, if they know you can make the outfielders run backwards, they are going to pitch carefully to you. That's where walks come from and you can't defend walks.

I agree with you on the need to use the core vs the arms with both boys and girls but especially with the girls. I think the quick swing powered by the core/pelvic and trunk rotation can supply both average and power.

Very cool about Bench and your father.

Jun 18, 2008
Funny , when I taught my youngest girl what I considered a rotational 'baseball' swing , after pretty much ruining my oldest girl's swing because of the good 'advice' 10-12 years ago ( she used to have a natural baseball swing before the swing bars killed that ! ) ..the local high school softball coach trying to change it ( wanted her to swing down on the ball ) , and questioned what I was teaching the girls I coached .......

She did very well last year last year , but decided to spend a little more time on boring hitting drills I've put together for the kids I coach , focusing on rotation , staying connected ( huge issue with most kids ) and also conditioning ( personal trainer for her and 4 of her teammates ) for her senior season ...

She led her team ( a good large school in the east ) in 2B , 3B , and Home Runs , and pretty much averaged almost an extra base hit a game ....the coaches loved her , and I never heard a thing about her swing ... !

She's 5'2", weighs about 110 pounds soaking wet , and the smallest kid on the roster .......

I'm not saying this as a crazy father ...... just to show that what I consider a 'baseball' swing will work in softball , and pay dividends , given the right amount of time and effort from the coach/parent/player ....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying