Baseball fans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I'm not a big fan of that particular call. The slide is what took out the third baseman. Now if third picked his legs up to trip the dude, then sure, it is obstruction but if the slide took him out then all is fair. Why was the runner so far inside the line after the slide anyway?

*****Disclaimer******I only watched the play in real time and then one slo mo so I could have easily missed something.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The umpires got the call right. The umpires read the rule to the media. The explained the play and it is exactly by the book. Joe Torre went on MLB Tonight and read the rule. The case book gives the exact example of what happened in the game tonight as obstruction. It does not matter that the end of a World Series game is determined by this call unless you want to be able to apply the rulebook only when it benefits your team.

Mar 13, 2010
It was OBS. Baseball, fast pitch, slow pitch, it was OBS. Name the sanctioning body, It was OBS. Last night, today, tomorrow, next week, next month, It was OBS.
And it was, for U3, an easy call.
Heck, I'm a Red Sox fan and as soon as I saw the Cardinal runner trip I said OBS.
Odd way to lose a WS game, yeah. But it was OBS.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hate for the Red Sox to lose a game like that, but it was a GREAT educational moment for a lot of baseball fans!

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
How about the mechanics of the PU calling him safe, rather than calling "Time" once the tag was made and then awarding the base? Another small item I noticed, he never touched home plate.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not a big fan of that particular call. The slide is what took out the third baseman. Now if third picked his legs up to trip the dude, then sure, it is obstruction but if the slide took him out then all is fair. Why was the runner so far inside the line after the slide anyway?

*****Disclaimer******I only watched the play in real time and then one slo mo so I could have easily missed something.

That was a absolutely great call. The legs are irrelevant, how the fielder ended up prone is irrelevant, the location of the runner and how he came to that location is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the runner was obstructed by a defender not fielding a batted ball, not in possession of the ball and not setting up to or in the act of receiving a thrown ball.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Again, I'm not saying it was the wrong call. I just don't like the rule. My take on it is that it doesn't make sense that the runner is allowed to take out the fielder trying to receive a throw but now that he has taken the fielder out and decides to run home then the defensive player is obstructing. The same goes for disrupting a double play. I don't like that either. But, I don't write the rules so I have to play by them.

Mar 26, 2013

Again, I'm not saying it was the wrong call. I just don't like the rule. My take on it is that it doesn't make sense that the runner is allowed to take out the fielder trying to receive a throw but now that he has taken the fielder out and decides to run home then the defensive player is obstructing. The same goes for disrupting a double play. I don't like that either. But, I don't write the rules so I have to play by them.
The runner didn't take out the thirdbaseman - he fell trying to catch the ball. Take a look at the various replays from different angles - umpires-point-to-rulebook-in-explaining-world-series-game-ending-obstruction-call. Middlebrooks even said he dove for the ball at 2:35 mark.