Barnhill-Collegiate Player of the year. #usasoftball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2017
I think IPs should be called across the board. The reason Barnhill is talked about more is that she's the hot thing right now, getting tons of attention and winning awards, for doing something that is not within the rules of the game she's winning awards for. Do any other pitchers who throw illegally most of the time have a .3 ERA? If so let's talk about them too.

So because she's more dominant being illegal she's "worse" ? What's the ERA cutoff ? .6? 1?
Just curious what the criteria is to cause the hair on fire posts in here.
The goal post moving just proves it's not about the illegality of it. It's about "who's" illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
So because she's more dominant being illegal she's "worse" ? What's the ERA cutoff ? .6? 1?
Just curious what the criteria is to cause the hair on fire posts in here.
The goal post moving just proves it's not about the illegality of it. It's about "who's" illegal.

It's about whether the illegality is giving them a huge advantage or not. In this case, it does. In some cases, it doesn't.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So because she's more dominant being illegal she's "worse" ?....

Absolutely! Now you get it! That along with the fact that she does so deliberately in order to dominate is an aggravating factor. If she does not cheat, she is just another SEC pitcher.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So since she won POY she should be hung ? What about pitching every inning of the SEC tournament and winning ? Is that bar not quite high enough ?

I assume you a referring to Katlin Lee of Ole Miss. She is a very skilled and effective pitcher. Certainly not close to being dominant. And yes, she at times has a small leap which to your point makes her illegal as Barnhill. The difference is that you would be hard pressed to make a case the the small leap by Lee makes her a more effective pitcher. The same cannot be said of the huge leap and replant by Barnhill which is in large part why she is dominant. The fact of the matter is that when forced to pitch legally at the start of her Freshman season at UF her speed dropped to the low to mid 60's and she was just another pitcher. I was amazed how she had finally cleaned up her act. Unfortunately, that was short lived.

May 8, 2017
I assume you a referring to Katlin Lee of Ole Miss. She is a very skilled and effective pitcher. Certainly not close to being dominant. And yes, she at times has a small leap which to your point makes her illegal as Barnhill. The difference is that you would be hard pressed to make a case the the small leap by Lee makes her a more effective pitcher. The same cannot be said of the huge leap and replant by Barnhill which is in large part why she is dominant. The fact of the matter is that when forced to pitch legally at the start of her Freshman season at UF her speed dropped to the low to mid 60's and she was just another pitcher. I was amazed how she had finally cleaned up her act. Unfortunately, that was short lived.

So cheating and being illegal a "little bit" is ok ?
So what's the amount of leap allowed to make it really bad ? 12 inches ? 24?
You're argument that the illegality of what she does is is eroding by the post. Now you're down to saying she's "more" illegal than others.

May 8, 2017
Absolutely! Now you get it! That along with the fact that she does so deliberately in order to dominate is an aggravating factor. If she does not cheat, she is just another SEC pitcher.

Using that logic is Lee less effective in the championship games if she doesn't leap a "little" ?

May 8, 2017
It's about whether the illegality is giving them a huge advantage or not. In this case, it does. In some cases, it doesn't.

Does the amount that some kids pitch illegal give them an advantage over what they would normally be able to achieve ? You can't compare pitcher to pitcher. Just what that one pitcher would be able to do if they didn't "cheat"

Jun 12, 2015
Does the amount that some kids pitch illegal give them an advantage over what they would normally be able to achieve ? You can't compare pitcher to pitcher. Just what that one pitcher would be able to do if they didn't "cheat"

Exactly. Make her pitch legally and let's see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So cheating and being illegal a "little bit" is ok ?
So what's the amount of leap allowed to make it really bad ? 12 inches ? 24?
You're argument that the illegality of what she does is is eroding by the post. Now you're down to saying she's "more" illegal than others.

No, I have always been consistent that illegal is illegal. It is binary. You either are or you are not. But again there are aggravating circumstances beyond just being illegal. It is Barhnills intent and the advantage she attains that makes her behavior egregious. Think of it like speeding. If the limit is 70 anything over 70 is speeding and illegal. Lee is driving 71-72. Barnhill is doing 120+ weaving in and out of traffic.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
does the amount that some kids pitch illegal give them an advantage over what they would normally be able to achieve ? You can't compare pitcher to pitcher. Just what that one pitcher would be able to do if they didn't "cheat"

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Yes!!! You got it!!! :)

Not how often, but what they do that is illegal. Little leap versus huge leap, replant, etc. All illegal, one providing no advantage, the other significant advantage.

My DD will often work 67-69mph throwing legally. If she intentionally leaps, really explodes that jumps to low 70's. By any measure what would be a significant advantage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff