Barnhill-Collegiate Player of the year. #usasoftball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I don't like teaching my kiddo to break the rules til she gets caught. Not really a life lesson I'm going for.

One thought is that your kids can play sports and you can teach them life lessons. You don't needs sports to teach your kids life lessons.

As Hillhouse pointed out in the other thread if the umpire is giving you one ball length off of the plate as a strike (against the rules!) are you really not going to keep pitching there? That's silly.

Attacking a collegiate players integrity is petty. If you want to criticize the umpires, coaches, and NCAA for (everyone who is getting paid) for violating the integrity of the game that's a different story.

Jun 12, 2015
There are many opportunities to learn life lessons. Sports is but one. Since we play travel ball though, it's a pretty significant source for us. I'd seem pretty hypocritical if I told DD to be honest and don't cheat, except in softball. In softball, do whatever you can to get around the rules until someone makes you stop.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One thought is that your kids can play sports and you can teach them life lessons. You don't needs sports to teach your kids life lessons.

As Hillhouse pointed out in the other thread if the umpire is giving you one ball length off of the plate as a strike (against the rules!) are you really not going to keep pitching there? That's silly.

Attacking a collegiate players integrity is petty. If you want to criticize the umpires, coaches, and NCAA for (everyone who is getting paid) for violating the integrity of the game that's a different story.

I think most look at sports as one of many vehicles available to teach life lessons. But just because it is a sport, or a game does not mean that one tosses aside life lessons and ones integrity. There is no such thing as a lapse of integrity, you either have it or you don't. You cannot attack someones integrity, only the lack thereof. Character is another matter. Integrity is one of several character traits, and contrary to popular belief sports do not build character, rather they reveal it. It is obvious that there some in the game that have character flaws due to a lack of integrity. Why in the world would someone would celebrate the accomplishments of those that consciously chose personal gain over integrity is beyond me. But one wonders what is worse, the character of those who place personal gain over integrity, or those that knowingly permit, promote, and celebrate such actions? This is not an issue of IP's and rule enforcement, unfortunately it runs much deeper than that.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
My issue with this is she's only good for half the game. The JMU pitcher is good on the mound and at the plate. She should have been player of the year.

I'm a Good fan,
but the NCAA has clearly shown that they don't value teams/players outside of the p5 conferences,
and even then, they really only value the SEC and PAC-10...

no chance for to Good to win this award...

May 8, 2017
I'm just amazed Barnhill is practically the only illegal pitcher that gets page after page of hate.
It seems to me there's some people who have singled her out. It makes it appear it's personal. Not about the "integrity" of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
but the NCAA has clearly shown that they don't value teams/players outside of the p5 conferences,

Amazing how parents still let their kids play for the NCAA when the actors involved lack "integrity". The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Amazing how parents still let their kids play for the NCAA when the actors involved lack "integrity". The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

No hypocrisy as there is a big difference between being a participant or stakeholder versus someone with ability to set policy and affect change. Would you also indict anyone who attends the university or watches a game? Of course not. The analogy is a fallacy.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm just amazed Barnhill is practically the only illegal pitcher that gets page after page of hate.
It seems to me there's some people who have singled her out. It makes it appear it's personal. Not about the "integrity" of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we have is an individual who knowing the difference between right and wrong, chose the latter to attain success
We have the institution charged with enforcing the rules of the game, not only turning a blind eye to her actions, but celebrating her success.
If that is not about the integrity of the game, please provide an example of something that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00