The Hard-Nosed Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I have a player on the 16U team that I’m an AC on that is every coach’s dream. She plays hard and gives 100% in every practice, every game. She doesn’t have a low gear, just a competitive all-out type of player.

The problem is, it’s catching up to her. In the last year, she’s suffered multiple broken bones and two concussions (that we know of) on the field. She was invited to a P5 camp over the summer, but couldn’t attend due to injury.

I hate to tell a player to dial it back, but if our goal is to get girls recruited it’s hard not to think she may be hurting her chances. Any coaches out there who have dealt with this? My inclination is to let her play her game, but I have this nagging fear that she’s sacrificing her future for the right-now.

Side question: did she do the right thing by not going to the camp? Is it better to show up injured just to be a part of the experience or postpone until you can actually show the coach what you’re capable of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have a player on the 16U team that I’m an AC on that is every coach’s dream. She plays hard and gives 100% in every practice, every game. She doesn’t have a low gear, just a competitive all-out type of player.

The problem is, it’s catching up to her. In the last year, she’s suffered multiple broken bones and two concussions (that we know of) on the field. She was invited to a P5 camp over the summer, but couldn’t attend due to injury.

I hate to tell a player to dial it back, but if our goal is to get girls recruited it’s hard not to think she may be hurting her chances. Any coaches out there who have dealt with this? My inclination is to let her play her game, but I have this nagging fear that she’s sacrificing her future for the right-now.

Side question: did she do the right thing by not going to the camp? Is it better to show up injured just to be a part of the experience or postpone until you can actually show the coach what you’re capable of?

Can you share / explain how she got injured?
Asking to help interpret the situation.

Players get injured so many different ways and some players get the ball more than others. Some players won't dive near a fence and some players will.
For instance how did she get a concussion is it because she Dove and hit her head on a pole?
Did she injure herself because of a late slide and bad mechanics?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021
SC
Its probably all instincts and killer instincts come game time. do you really want her to lay up instead of lay out for a ball?

maybe dial it back in practice?

Apr 1, 2017
With all the hamstring/leg type injuries they had this season, there have been stories and/or rumors that the White Sox training staff told some of the the players to go easy when running to first, etc. Sadly, their play/hustle looked like they took the advice a little too seriously.....

Jul 14, 2018
Can you share / explain how she got injured?
Asking to help interpret the situation.

Both concussions were base running. One time she slipped on wet turf and fell backwards trying to change direction. The other time she tripped over SS and went down face first. Her helmet came loose and she broke her nose too.

Two broken fingers on her throwing hand, different times. Both times trying to be aggressive on the throw from third and reached into the glove before the ball was there on short hop lasers.

Reading that she sounds like a klutz, but she’s really very athletic and was trying to make a play happen.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Both concussions were base running. One time she slipped on wet turf and fell backwards trying to change direction. The other time she tripped over SS and went down face first. Her helmet came loose and she broke her nose too.

Two broken fingers on her throwing hand, different times. Both times trying to be aggressive on the throw from third and reached into the glove before the ball was there on short hop lasers.

Reading that she sounds like a klutz, but she’s really very athletic and was trying to make a play happen.

Hmmm, 🤔hard to say those happened because she's being overly aggressive.

Rather (maybe) she is physically a good effort player but her mental game and skill sets need to catch up.
3 of the 4 incidents are skill sets related to timing, glove and footwork.
The one Slip and fall is slip and fall.

Would not say dial it back.
I would comment on we need solid plays and solid footwork.

Whether it is overly aggressive or even klutsy,
regardless she needs to pay attention to being in control of her mechanics in each of the moments she needs them,
running, defense, hitting.

Play in control in the moment.

As to the camp and being injured not participating but showing up. Anytime a player can show up and have at least visual contact with the coach would like to play for it is an opportunity. Make it better by trying to speak with the coach when there. If anything just to say hello and remind them of your face and name.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
Never tell them to dial it back. Make sure they know how to slide and are using good technique. Fingers hit with the ball is just skill and kinda a freak accident.

….and yes, she should have gone to the camp. Even if she couldn’t practice being able to speak to the coaches is important.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802