Balancing softball/life

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
This discussion certainly hits home on so many levels. Two softballer DD's here 12 and 14. Both play tourney ball and the oldest played High School this year. This is their third year of tourney ball and yes between the two of them virtually every moment of every weekend is booked. I used to play softball myself. I used to golf. We have friends that go boating. I love the beach. But what I love more than all of that is being THERE for and with my daughters and watching them on the diamond. So many great things have been said here. The time is well spent, the memories are to be cherished. The lessons about commitment and teamwork will build character and make them better in every way. They may even get scholarships or at least play in college some day. But the best part is the now. I try to make every inning of every game high school and tourney, with the exception of when they are playing at the same time in different places. I take lots of pictures. The high School season was a reminder, that they will slowly begin to separate. When they are out of the house, I will have plenty of time for golf, or a career challenge or travel, or whatever. But in the meantime, I'm a bucket Dad and a fan and that is my purpose. I'll have no regrets.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
It's good that we all love it, because I have no idea how you balance travel ball with anything else. It's our family time and our vacation time. And all our other time, pretty much.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
It's good that we all love it, because I have no idea how you balance travel ball with anything else. It's our family time and our vacation time. And all our other time, pretty much.
Not to mention that we're all softball poor, anyway.

Edit: Wait, did I say "all?" Maybe just me. But I attribute that, in part, to DD's enormous collection of tournament hoodies and shirts that cost 3000% more than they would in a store, and end up saying things like, "I ust min so I can ick you s" because the letters wash off after 2 wearings.
Sucker. I'm a sucker.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

Growing up we didn't really have money to go on vacations anyway so it was all ball all the time by default...even without TB. Made the decision easier for my parents I guess :D

Jun 12, 2015
Not to mention that we're all softball poor, anyway.

Edit: Wait, did I say "all?" Maybe just me. But I attribute that, in part, to DD's enormous collection of tournament hoodies and shirts that cost 3000% more than they would in a store, and end up saying things like, "I ust min so I can ick you s" because the letters wash off after 2 wearings.
Sucker. I'm a sucker.

Maybe not true of everyone but I'm right there with you! Softball poor. It's ok, we have plenty of time to save money when they're grown and gone. But we'll always have the ballpark memories. It's a more than fair trade :)

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Softball poor for sure. I was just thinking the other day that I'll probably spend more just on ice for the cooler than my DDs will ever get in scholarship money.

There really is nothing other than softball right now, but I love it, for the most part. Two DD's 10 & 12, both play select and Little League, it's pretty much every day.

I do miss not having time to cook well. Bowls of cereal and Top Ramen after practice are getting old.

Nov 16, 2015
Almost snorted coffee out my nose when I read this. A couple weeks ago, DD traveled with DH and I was reliant upon iscore and DH for updates. This was my Facebook post that evening:

3d72980d530a433c546e88813b80b93c.jpg

This is great. My wife was updating me the other day. I hadnt heard anything from her in what felt like an eternity so i text her 'Rain Delay?' There wasnt a cloud in the sky. Last night she went with DD2 while i went with DD1 and i received the Rain Delay? text. All in fun

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
It's ok to miss a game. Just be prepared. DD had played in a few varsity games during the season. The day after he last JV game she was told she would dress with the varsity the rest of the way. That night she played at 5 and the little one played at 6. Since the oldest was playing an hour away we couldn't be both places. I told my wife it wouldn't be a big deal since the oldest probably wouldn't play anyway being a 7th grader. Needless to say I get a text telling me she is starting. Then a little while later I get the text she had doubled. Then another double that one hopped the fence. Then the third double. The night I missed got her into the starting lineup for the last 15 games.

Jun 11, 2013
The last game I missed I get the following

DD is playing LF, hit one over second baseman:
Response from me. Was it a hit or an out. No response

25 minutes later I get HR over the fence.

I ask which field did she hit it to? No response until I see them that night when she isn't sure.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD is probably playing her last summer of tourney ball. DD will play in college and may 'guess' play for her old tourney team here and there. I will be sad. I have spent every weekend watching her play softball for a long time. I will miss it a lot. So, think about that.......
This got me choked up thinking about it!
I get stuck working a lot on Saturdays and it kills me, especially since I'm in rdbass's situation. DD's even getting sentimental lately and texted out of nowhere that "I love going to the park and practicing with you."
I wouldn't miss any game if I didn't have to because it goes so fast. I do plan on taking the camper out a heck of a lot more when she's off to college!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi