backing up first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The reason the higher levels have F2 back up 1st is that they only have to play 1 game per day. That will not wear out their catcher.

This is true of HS games too, but unless a TB team only has 1 catcher, they should be in good enough shape so that backing up first base isn't going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

IMO, catchers should be taught to back up 1B when there are no runners on so that it becomes instinctive. If its unbearably hot or they've got to catch consecutive games, then you can give them the OK to not do it; however, don't be surprised if they continue to do it as it becomes a matter of pride unless you expressly prohibit it. One of the intangible benefits is that it may help motivate her teammates to always hustle and think twice before complaining about how hot they are!

GM

GM

Aug 16, 2010
GM -
The straw that breaks the camel's back is 115 heat index while playing your 5th game back up through the loser's bracket in Houston heat and humidity. We have IV fluids available in some tourneys - we are bringing water and cold rags to our catcher in between batters and these kids are tough. I guess you guys don't have many heat strokes in New England. I don't care if you've got 5 catchers, I use RF to back up catcher - we play on 220' max fields - she can get there and she's not wearing a Spartan suit of armor when she does it. You say potato - I say RF backs up 1b.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I will get to see the best of the best play on Monday, when the pro all stars play U of A. I will take note who is catching for the pros and I will see what she does.

As far as the heat goes, it's already 85 degrees here and not yet 6 AM.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
DD's comp coach had her catchers backing up first. (with no one on) It came in handy at times as the catcher keeps first base between her and either RF or second, whoever is fielding the hit and throwing to first. This puts the catcher directly in the path of the throw (beyond first-baseman) and ready to field it if 1B misses. RF backs up throws from SS, pitcher and third. This has saved runner advancing on over-throws at first base several times.
The down side is when the catcher has a brain-fart and backs up first with runners on. (saw that happen this past week) It's a great way to give up a run.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Have always used the RF to back up throws to first, except when the RF is throwing to first, and then the catcher backs up.

I just can't see the benefit of having the catchers running with all the gear on when the RF can do it just as well, by my DD plays 14U, so maybe when they get older the RF plays a little deeper and can't get there as quickly?

Feb 9, 2009
I think it's absurd that anyone would expect the catcher to back-up 1st on a throw from CF or RF, or even 2nd. If that's your team, what the heck is your pitcher doing? Her nails?

Jun 11, 2010
There's merit to both sides of the argument. Most overthrows will be angled out towards right field, so the cost/benefit may not pay off by percentage.

May 25, 2008
Michigan
My catchers have always backed up 1b with nobody on, it has saved an extra base many times. I have both the catcher an RF going for the backup.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If the ball is to the right of the field, the catcher needs to backup the play.

You do not see it on TV too often but the PROs do this alll the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi