backing up first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2009
Do you have your catchers run up the first base line to back up the throw on infield grounders with no runners on base?

Mar 13, 2010
As someone else said, that's what RF is for.

Catcher should always be taking home. She's the one position that never backs up anyone.

Aug 16, 2010
With no runners on, what's the rationale for not having the C backup 1B?

Its easier to replace my starting RF than my catcher. In tournament play where we will play 3-5 games a day in July/August heat, I'm not forcing my catcher to back up first while running in full gear. Much easier for RF. I do make my 1B back up my catcher once play progresses past her base.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can honestly say, that having played first base for a few decades, the catcher has never backed me up.

Have I seen other teams do it? Yes.

Oct 18, 2009
My DDs 12u head coach who is a college head coach teaches our catchers to back up 1B.

I'll ask her the reasoning tomorrow.

Mar 13, 2010
With no runners on, what's the rationale for not having the C backup 1B?

They'll always be behind the runner for one. I don't understand how they can back up, as they won't be behind first by the time the ball is missed. RF has a better chance of getting there (and they should already be moving when the ball is hit)

Add to that, the catcher is in full gear. The RF is not.

Apr 1, 2010
I've heard of having the catcher back up 1st with no one on, but agree that it sounds unlikely my DD, who isn't a speedster anyway, wearing all her gear could make it there in time. However, I'm wondering if the catcher wouldn't be able to back up first if no one's on and the throw is coming from the right fielder? She'd probably only need to get about 2/3 of the way down the line to back up that throw...

Oct 18, 2009
After some thought. With no on one on I believe it is both fielders, catcher and RF responsibility to back up 1st. Since you can't really judge where an offline throw will be if the catcher is even halfway up the line they would be in a better position to recover the throw than the right fielder would be if it was thrown to the home plate side of first.

I think most of the younger or lower levels don't teach it because the right fielder plays in anyway and they don't want to tire out the catcher. All MLB games and even NCAA softball games I've seen the catcher running up the side to backup an errant throw. Also with softball and the bunt in play, the right fielder is the one usually expected to back up so everyone forgets to teach the catcher to go back up first. On a typical ground ball to short with no one on base, the catcher should be coming down to back up first as well as the right fielder. JMO.

Jul 28, 2008
The reason the higher levels have F2 back up 1st is that they only have to play 1 game per day. That will not wear out their catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi