backing up first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
If the ball is to the right of the field, the catcher needs to backup the play.

You do not see it on TV too often but the PROs do this alll the time.

Welcome to site Quincy. If ball is in RF - play at 1b is unlikely unless slow runner hard hit shot and then I agree catcher is at good angle to back that throw up. I think most of the debate deals with no runners on base and infielders fielding ball and play at 1b.

MLB? They also have pitcher cover 1b on shot to F3, play on 400' field, have 90' bases and never ask a catcher to play 2 games back to back on same day. Apples and oranges.

I'm ok with backing up 1b w catcher but not because pros do it. I don't because - IMO - it doesn't work as well overall in FP Softball as having RF back up for a number of reasons that have been said here ad nauseum.

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I think that catchers should be taught to make their way up the line on a grounder hit with no one on and even with a runner on first. She may not be able to get gross overthrows on balls from the left side of the infield, but how about a throw from 2B? Double play balls? SS ranging behind second? Think about balls that are tipped off the 1B's glove. I've seen many double play balls where the throw is rushed to get the batter and gets thrown away.

Unless there's some concern over heat/exhaustion, I really don't see a downside to teaching catchers to head up the line, even if it's only halfway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi