Back to work and open stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
so the brace comes when the front foot lands and then the swing starts?
The brace comes after the plug in. The start of the bracing coincides, albeit slightly before, the unhinging of the wrists.
Look at a check swing. The front foot is plugged in but the bracing doesn't happen.
Look at a typical college or MLB swing in which the ball is struck. The front foot is plugged in and the bracing happened.
(disregarding the hit off a pitch that fooled the batter)
I taught my DD to hit the ball by snapping the front leg and unhinging the wrists.
I also taught he to check her swing by keeping the flex in the front leg.
Some here are familiar with the Bond's swearing in position. IMO that is the last stop for a check swing.
It's at that position the bracing of the front leg starts. At that position (Bond's swearing in) it's swing or check.

I suggest you work on the bracing action she had (red shirt) and only that until it becomes second nature to her.
Fixing that usually solve a variety of issues.
Bottom line is, she really needs to gain the ability and feeling of hitting against or into the front leg, not over it (drifting).

Once that issue is addressed and corrected, her swing will be much more efficient and minor timing issues can be worked out.

As a college coach said to me 5 years ago that is very true for you regarding you DD:

"You have a lot to work with". She has a very high upside.
Let her have fun and don't throw a ton of hitting drills at her. She won't like it. Eventually.

JMHO

May 12, 2014
Do-Over....thanks again for the feedback. We'll just focus on plugging and bracing until it becomes 2nd nature. And then progress from there.

May 20, 2015

This is what I consider the Bond's swearing in position.
It's at this position you would brace or not brace (for a take or check swing).
Note the front foot is grounded (plugged in) and the front leg still has the bend in it.
There is no bracing yet. This college player is in a very good position.
A hitter should reach this position on every pitch. It's a precursor of sorts to every pitch
whether the pitch is hit, taken or checked. get to this position then brace or don't brace.

be sure to keep us updated.
It will be fun to see her reach a very high level.

Have fun

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
Do-over, thanks again. I'll surely keep you and everyone updated on her progress. Thanks again for taking the time to offer advice to help her out.

May 12, 2014
Proud Dad moment...2nd at bat of the season (1st was ground ball single)...DD caught this change up for triple

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah