"Back Door" vs. "Front Door" definitions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
There seems to be much confusion about the meaning of "front door" and "back door" when discussing the flight path of a pitch. Below are some differences of opinion. Let's assume right-handed pitcher, pitching to a right-handed batter:

1) Curveball - typically thrown to the outside corner of the plate away from the batter. If you throw it inside, so it looks like it might hit the batter, but the ball breaks back towards the plate and crosses the inside portion of the plate for a strike, would that not be called "front door curveball"? Another example, would be the same RHP throwing an outside curveball to a lefty slapper, that looks like its going to be a ball outside but curves into the outside portion of the plate for a strike and is called a "back door curveball"?

2) Alternatively, some have suggested that the "front door" and "back door" means a pitch that enters the strike zone from the front potion of the plate or the back portion of the plate and has nothing to do with which side of the plate the pitch is on (left or right).

What say you?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Another example, would be the same RHP throwing an outside curveball to a lefty slapper, that looks like its going to be a ball outside but curves into the outside portion of the plate for a strike and is called a "back door curveball"?

^^^This

So, if the batter is a righty, the same pitch trajectory is still a "backdoor" to me,
even though its mostly applicable to a lefty batter.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
A pitch which comes from pitchers throwing side and finishes by moving onto the plate. Preferably late. Doesn't matter the batter in my book.

Dec 19, 2012
I never used the term "Front Door"

To me a breaking pitch that appears to initially look like a strike then breaks away from the plate is whatever that pitch is called (curve, slider, etc.). A back door breaking pitch is a pitch that appears to be off the plate then breaks and catches the plate at the last moment.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
"Back door" starts outside and breaks for a strike.

Never heard "front door" either. I've heard "front hip," where it's thrown at the hitter to break for a strike. Come to think of it, "front hip" and "back door" are pretty much the same pitch. The difference is the side the hitter is batting from.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I never used the term "Front Door"

To me a breaking pitch that appears to initially look like a strike then breaks away from the plate is whatever that pitch is called (curve, slider, etc.). A back door breaking pitch is a pitch that appears to be off the plate then breaks and catches the plate at the last moment.

I second this ^^^^^

Don't know if I've heard of a "front door curve" term. Here is what my simple definitions are...assume RHP/RHH.

1. Standard curveball....would start on a path relatively online with the middle of the plate and then curve such that about half or less of the ball crosses the front outside corner of the plate (assumes it is being thrown for a strike). Side Note: by the time the ball travels to the catchers glove it is in the river or on the chalk line of the opposite batters box. Often times an inexperienced catcher reaches for this pitch or shifts late to catch it.....resulting in an inexperienced umpire calling it a ball.
2. Backdoor curveball....would start on a path relatively online with the hitters thigh and then curves such that about half or less of the ball crosses the back inside corner of the plate (the plate has two corners on each side....thus the term "back door"/back corner.

With a RHP/LHH the path and location of these pitches are identical....obviously with a LHH, the backdoor curve is not thrown at the batters thigh, but the path and break are as described.

Feb 7, 2013
Ok, my follow-up question is that I recently talked with a TB head coach that said college coaches are looking for pitchers to throw a "backdoor screwball". Is this your experience and is this pitch even possible?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
a TB head coach that said college coaches are looking for pitchers to throw a "backdoor screwball". Is this your experience and is this pitch even possible?

Since most consensus is that a "screwball" is more of an "altered trajectory" pitch than a true breaking pitch;
I think this is chasing a rainbow-colored unicorn.

Consider this:
RHP/LHB
The pitch must start AT the Batter, and then break over the plate for a strike.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi