Avoiding bad organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Unfortunately, this is common in youth sports. You have people who see opportunity and parents willing to pay money to play weekend softball/baseball. My advice for anyone wanting to get into travel is to wait until 12U. Invest that time and money into personal lessons, rec ball and playing other sports. If your child is ready to step into travel ball because there is potential to play at a higher level then do research.

1. organization - NJ Intensity vs. NJ Diamond Lady Bombers Elite (made up name I hope)
2. website- how many teams in each age group. If more than 2 in a certain geography not ideal if they are out of the same facility
3. turnover- high turnover is an automatic red flag
4. view their social media page - are they constantly looking for players.
5. style of coaching- high stress coach (yeller, short fuse) or calm teach in the moment and not punish.
6. If your child is a pitcher , do they have experience in the position or are they a just throw strikes type coach
7. Money - how is it used.
8. travel - where, when and what bracket (if you travel South and you're not at the main fields for showcases, you're not viewed like your coach sold it as)
9. background- what is the coaches background (do they have a kid, what position do they play, did they play sports, what players have they placed into college)
10. Talk to those who you know that are in travel and get their view and opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021
@RADcatcher

3 main components in play here:

1) Lack of pitchers

2) Lack of pitchers

3) Lack of pitchers

Fix any one of these three and you have better teams overall
Based on the amount of time and $$ it takes to get good at pitching I am not surprised. As the father of a pitcher, I am committed to my daughter's journey for pitching have the bumps and bruises, and will likely have arthritis of the catching hand to prove it but I need the coaches to work on the rest of her game. Working on pitching isn't as sexy or satisfying as murder the ball in batting cages...

Jan 31, 2015
How do you avoid bad organizations? We recently had an experience with a terrible organization out of NJ with the initials LD. Had I known the owner was a thief and a liar, we'd have avoided the LDs like the plague, but there doesn't seem to be a database out there to help. Am I missing something here?
Having DD recently completed her recruiting journey this year, let me try to steer this thread back to your original question. ;-)

Some lessons-learned and recommendations...
  1. As with ALL things in life, it's all about *expectation management* and EVERY DD's journey is different due to MANY MANY factors none the least of which is her end goal (i.e. DI vs DII vs DIII), her commitment and work ethic, your location, and YOUR means to help her achieve her end goal.
  2. Treat ALL organizations as *service providers* the same way you would treat a plumber, electrician, educator, etc.
  3. TAKE OWNERSHIP of DD's recruiting process yourself, and assume the organization and HC will NOT.
  4. As will ALL service providers, seek as many *first hand* experience feedback about organization BEFORE committing to organization keeping in mind the differences between their DD's end goals, commitment, etc. and your DD's; e.g. big difference if one is a pitcher, catcher, etc. and the others are not and DI vs DII vs DIII goals.
  5. As with ALL things in life, it's about who you/they know; i.e. doesn't matter if one organization/coach has long ties to certain HC if those schools are not where your DD wants to go.
  6. BEFORE signing on the dotted line to join the organization, CLEARLY and succinctly state your DD's end goals to the organization leader(s) and coaches and make them look you in the eyes when they tell you that they can help your DD achieve her end goal, and then don't hesitate to remind them directly in the eyes WHEN they deviate from said commitment.
  7. At the END of the summer season, do not hesitate to seek another *service provider* if current organization/HC did not meet DD's expectations although once you get to 2nd year of 16U it's probably too late after that to switch service providers.
FWIW, between 12U-16U, my DD played for 4 clubs in 6 years until finally settling on a nationally recognized NJ club (2.5 hour one-way trip for practices!) which was recommend by her pitching coach.

Unfortunately, it meant leaving the BEST HC she ever had who made the MOST positive impact to ALL 3 aspects of her game, but after getting the *big fish in small pond* feedback from a DI coach who came out to see her pitch a 2-0 shutout and knock in the only 2 RBI at a fall tournament, we decided putting her on a national level club would best position DD to achieve her DI dream; ironically, that same DI coach is her DI coach now!

At the end of the day, getting DD to her DI dream took THOUSANDS OF HOURS and TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS between club fees, private pitching lessons, private hitting lessons, and travel.

Again, EVERY DD's journey is different, but that's what worked for my DD. YMMV

Best wishes on your DD's journey.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Having DD recently completed her recruiting journey this year, let me try to steer this thread back to your original question. ;-)

Some lessons-learned and recommendations...
  1. As with ALL things in life, it's all about *expectation management* and EVERY DD's journey is different due to MANY MANY factors none the least of which is her end goal (i.e. DI vs DII vs DIII), her commitment and work ethic, your location, and YOUR means to help her achieve her end goal.
  2. Treat ALL organizations as *service providers* the same way you would treat a plumber, electrician, educator, etc.
  3. TAKE OWNERSHIP of DD's recruiting process yourself, and assume the organization and HC will NOT.
  4. As will ALL service providers, seek as many *first hand* experience feedback about organization BEFORE committing to organization keeping in mind the differences between their DD's end goals, commitment, etc. and your DD's; e.g. big difference if one is a pitcher, catcher, etc. and the others are not and DI vs DII vs DIII goals.
  5. As with ALL things in life, it's about who you/they know; i.e. doesn't matter if one organization/coach has long ties to certain HC if those schools are not where your DD wants to go.
  6. BEFORE signing on the dotted line to join the organization, CLEARLY and succinctly state your DD's end goals to the organization leader(s) and coaches and make them look you in the eyes when they tell you that they can help your DD achieve her end goal, and then don't hesitate to remind them directly in the eyes WHEN they deviate from said commitment.
  7. At the END of the summer season, do not hesitate to seek another *service provider* if current organization/HC did not meet DD's expectations although once you get to 2nd year of 16U it's probably too late after that to switch service providers.
FWIW, between 12U-16U, my DD played for 4 clubs in 6 years until finally settling on a nationally recognized NJ club (2.5 hour one-way trip for practices!) which was recommend by her pitching coach.

Unfortunately, it meant leaving the BEST HC she ever had who made the MOST positive impact to ALL 3 aspects of her game, but after getting the *big fish in small pond* feedback from a DI coach who came out to see her pitch a 2-0 shutout and knock in the only 2 RBI at a fall tournament, we decided putting her on a national level club would best position DD to achieve her DI dream; ironically, that same DI coach is her DI coach now!

At the end of the day, getting DD to her DI dream took THOUSANDS OF HOURS and TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS between club fees, private pitching lessons, private hitting lessons, and travel.

Again, EVERY DD's journey is different, but that's what worked for my DD. YMMV

Best wishes on your DD's journey.
By far the best advice and comment I have seen. Thanks!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi