Parents.... Subtitle: The bad apples

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Seriously though, some softball parents remind me of the first few weeks of freshmen year in college when everybody in your hall would hang out together because they didn't know anybody else. Except in college after a while you realized Joe two doors down was a drunk, Sally was only in school to get in a sorority and find a husband and Mickey only got in because his parents were rich and donated a bunch of money to the University.

Feb 28, 2022
*Update - Great weekend, team played well, no pool at the hotel, parents all got along, we managed to pull off a team/parent dinner and all attended, girls bonded on the field, dingers and diving catches all around. Great weekend! Team preformed as well if not better than expected.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
We are hearing some rumors they are starting that are completely untrue and divisive, they make every effort to avoid the parents, their kids are the first to walk off the field after practice and games and they leave before the team meeting, etc... etc... etc.. These bad apples also pooh pooh any team building attempts off the field whether it's staying in the same hotel or group team activities.
*Update - Great weekend, team played well, no pool at the hotel, parents all got along, we managed to pull off a team/parent dinner and all attended, team did well, girls bonded on the field, dingers and diving catches all around. Great weekend! Team preformed as well if not better than expected.
Thanks for the update - rarely does a thread that begins with the words "rumors" and "divisive" end with a "great weekend" comment. It's re-assuring to hear when often on DFP we get much more of the front-end than the resolution part. I know it's only one weekend, but hope it continues for you!

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks for the update - rarely does a thread that begins with the words "rumors" and "divisive" end with a "great weekend" comment. It's re-assuring to hear when often on DFP we get much more of the front-end than the resolution part. I know it's only one weekend, but hope it continues for you!
I'm not saying there aren't 1 or 2 who are resisting our kumbaya but we are killing them with kindness. They are pleasant with us and it's all we can ask for.
Yes it is only one weekend and we too hope it continues. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

May 27, 2013
Sluggers - I agree with this. Just curious, for your DD's....at what age did you see this become more of a thing versus everyone wanting to "bond" or get along? As in, when did you see it change from social to business as it were? Or was college the eye opener to that?
Not Sluggers but I saw it happen when dd joined an 18U team during her freshman year. This team had players who all wanted to play in college, plus all of them were HS seniors except for 2-3 other players. While the parents and players were nice and all got along, there was no longer the vibe where parents or the players felt obligated to hang out after games were over for the day. At most, we would have a team tailgate in between games (minus the alcohol) where the parents would all bring food to share.

It was definitely more “business” on this team and DD’s other 18U team she played on.

May 27, 2013
I think a lot of times by 18U the girls much rather wind down on their own after a day full of games than hang out together at the pool. My dd was always the one who crashed hard by 9pm, so she wasn’t much fun anyway even when they did hang out.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sluggers - I agree with this. Just curious, for your DD's....at what age did you see this become more of a thing versus everyone wanting to "bond" or get along? As in, when did you see it change from social to business as it were? Or was college the eye opener to that?

They were pretty much out of the "my teammates are going to be my best friends" at 14YOA.

If your kid is going to be "good", she has to play at the highest level she can play. Kids change teams all the time. Your DD can't be getting upset when she leaves a team or someone else leaves a team. It is part of the sport.

Also, away from TB, your kid has to compete for playing time, and it is a zero sum game. A kid has to learn how to avoid all the petty squabbles.

Feb 28, 2022
My dd was always the one who crashed hard by 9pm, so she wasn’t much fun anyway even when they did hang out.

LOL, I have one of those as well. It was actually nice to see her make it to 10pm this weekend with her friends though. :)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Business like. 18U. Team only had one organized team dinner and that was always at Cinzetti's in Denver. That place was swarming with TB families. We always reserved a private room. Other than that, there was the annual Christmas party.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802