Avoiding bad organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
5 tryouts (assume 2 hours each) = 10 hours over at least 2 weekends
Several practices (let's say four, 90 mins each) = 6 hours over several days, per team
Guest play for 2 weekends, at least 6 games (assume 90 min games) = 9 hours over 2 weekends, per team

That's a total of at least 17 hours per team.
Times by 5 teams.
Total of 85 hours, minimum, and probably significantly more.

Assume 4-6 hours/week practice, that's 3-4 weeks of softball per team, without factoring in travel, warmups, etc.

Just to figure out which one to play on.

Nice to have so much free time.
I have not read this entire thread.
Did read the part about going to check out teams at tryouts.
Think what this describes is good for people who are starting out.
~Learning how to get involved in travel ball.

It's a good approach to see what's out there.
Would also say go to many tryouts.
See/experience different teams.
And how coaches run things and talk to the players.
It's a helpful experience for people to learn before just writing a big check.

As far as checking out teams. Don't have to go very far to watch multiple teams in your area. Can go to one tournament and spend a day or two and watch a multiple teams in the local area.
The same age bracket.
Watch the coaches.
Watch what they're doing while they're playing games.

$700 to $1000's just to join a team
I would say putting in the hours is good research before spending money.
Plus you get the experience and chance to choose the best team for the individual.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes. He has told me multiple times he rather develop kids then just acquire new talent. The only problem I have with that is that some of the kids don't necessarily work as hard as they should to deserve his loyalty..that said they are all good kids so I can see why he feels the way he does to some extent. If at some point I feel that the team is not able to be at a level which is going to benefit DD I will re-evaluate.
I think its best to add talent. I guess 10U and 12U its ok to be loyal and play with your friends. I don't like adding talent and growing the roster too big and hoping some of the less talented players eventually leave when their playing time is reduced. Just be honest. I think the fairest and easiest way to add talent and trim is to announce well in advance open tryouts dates and that there may be cuts. That will motivate the players to put in the work or find another team.

Jul 31, 2015

It's a good experience for people to learn before just writing a big check.

As far as checking out teams you don't have to go very far to watch a whole bunch of teams in your area you can go to one tournament and spend a day or two and watch a whole bunch of teams in the local area. The same age bracket watch the coaches watch what they're doing while they're playing games

I would say putting in 17 hours is a good research before spending money.
Plus you get the experience and chance to choose the best team for the individual.

Problem is not checking out various teams.
Problem is finding the time to do it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

It's a good experience for people to learn before just writing a big check.

As far as checking out teams you don't have to go very far to watch multiple teams in your area you can go to one tournament and spend a day or two and watch a multiple teams in the local area. The same age bracket watch the coaches watch what they're doing while they're playing games

I would say putting in 17 hours is a good research before spending money.
You beat me to it. Great point.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Problem is not checking out various teams.
Problem is finding the time to do it.
What I say about that is
~ it takes up the same amount of time to be in a lousy situation on a team,
than it does to find a quality place to play!
Weekend days and a week nite or two.

Yep i'm saying it 😁
Its ok to take a few/several weeks to pick a team.

Plus
Every time you go to a tryout you're getting a workout. And getting an opportunity to hear a different coaches point of view.

Also can say that players get exposure. Once they start getting more developed/talented get more opportunities by knocking on more doors.

There are plenty of times when so much has shuffled at end of summer.
Coaches and players that changed teams/orgs.
Think it's very important to make sure to see what team really looks like now.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I think its best to add talent. I guess 10U and 12U its ok to be loyal and play with your friends. I don't like adding talent and growing the roster too big and hoping some of the less talented players eventually leave when their playing time is reduced. Just be honest. I think the fairest and easiest way to add talent and trim is to announce well in advance open tryouts dates and that there may be cuts. That will motivate the players to put in the work or find another team.
The loyalty is on the coach’s part in this case but I don’t disagree with your premise. Around here there isn’t a single team in DD’s age group (or the 08 age level which she is playing) who can consistently compete at the National level so my other choices at the time were to A) join a team (in her own age group or the one she is playing in now) which is marginally better but have worse coaching or B) go out of state to find a top team with good coaching , which was an option as a team wanted her (in her own age group) but not something I was willing to do at 11YO (for multiple reasons including the travel would be 4+ hours one way and she would have to quit her AAU basketball team and she may end up being a better bball player when all is said and done..)

They will be playing in CO this spring/summer along with another 4 or 5 good tournaments so she won’t be lacking challenging competition for a 12 YO/6th grader.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
The comment someone posted about ‘someone’s trash being another persons treasure’ resonates with me. We left an org due to the coach’s style but others didn’t have an issue because they felt their DD was getting better and his form of discipline resonated well with them and they were seeing success. Well I guess if you think it’s ok to have an adult talk to a 10yo girl with cuss words to motivate them then that’s your business.
Sometimes you won’t know unless you’ve been in the team for months whether it was a good fit. Every family/kid has a different tolerance for what they are comfortable with. Others in the OP team prob didn’t have the same experience and since it didn’t happen to them, they have no issues. Doesn’t make it right but that’s how it goes I’ve found. You just need to do what’s right for you and your kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG