atypical stats tracking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
during recent long daily drives to our NYS Little League Championships, my mind wandered, thinking about fastpitch of course.

i got to thinking: are there other beneficial ways to crunch stats, that are not commonly discussed and used?

so, I tried to think of new ways to track and assess performance, and came up with one that I think would be beneficial as a measuring stick of overall team defense.

Has anyone ever tracked the % of baserunners (reaching base by any means: Hit, HBP, Drop 3, Fielding Error, BB, etc) that end up scoring?

seems to me this might be useful.

I wonder what % are "excellent", "satisfactory", and "poor"?
I suppose it depends upon the age group (10u, 12u, 14u, 16u, 18u) and level of play (A,B,C)?

I havent crunched these stats for our own 12u team yet, but I would imagine we are somewhere between .333 and .500
But Ive also found myself to be "way off" in gut feel assumptions when it comes to stats like these.
Game perceptions and actual numbers dont always correlate!

Anyway, Id love to hear some thoughts on the subject.
And if you have some "atypical stats"'of your own that you find useful, please share!

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I share your dorkiness :)

Not counting the 14U NSA qualifier my team was in last weekend...to date for my 11U team since September 2014:

OB% for the team is .499 (464/929)

We've scored 186 runs (186/464) for a .400 scoring percentage.

CP

Jul 13, 2011
There are all kinds of atypical stats you can do since it's all just math, just depends on what you want to measure and what goal is. Are you trying to isolate pure pitching performance or defensive effectiveness?

Sep 17, 2009
It would be hard to track, but we always talk about "not leaking out runs" -- ie, not letting an error or passed ball or late inning stolen base turn a non-threat into a giveaway run that shouldn't have happened.

I also like to talk about in-game that if we put a runner on base with no outs we need to move and score them -- never tracked success rate % though.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
or defensive effectiveness?

^^^this.

some teams have great pitching, some great fielding, etc

Looking for a measure the accurately tracks and lets you compare the defense as a whole.

examples: a team might have a great pitcher, but a catcher who struggles. Or maybe a very hittable pitcher, with a lights out defense behind her. etc.

I dont care how a team prevents baserunners from scoring.
Just that they do a reasonable job of it somehow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA