Stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I thought I would resurrect an old thread on scoring. As a HS coach, I hate to bring this up. However, I have been following certain HS schools and their stats. It seems that one or two schools are in the habit of changing their stats a few weeks after they play a team. We were to play a team and we had the stats from the first time we played them. Somehow, in the following two weeks, this team found 5 more hits from that first game.

We were playing a school and one of the parents was a former baseball player of mine. He came over to talk after the game. I told him about the miraculous ability for this certain team to grow hits after the game. He sent me a text that it happed from their last game. What a shame. This information will be making it around now. I'm not good at keeping secrets. I won't go "nuclear" and name the one school but I am sure that they will hear that their actions have been discovered.

Jun 20, 2015
i see schools holding off on submitting or entering stats into conference websites in order to 'hide' hot or cold hitters.

Oct 3, 2019
A lot of scorers have a hard time with deciding what a fast runner beating out a throw is. Was a hit or roe. And if you have 2 girls. Player A hits 375 with no ROE and player B with a 365 ba and 8 ROE. Player A’s mom is the score keeper.

I like RBI to see who is performing in the clutch. As a coach I should be able to know who has the most opportunities. But if my 6 and 7 hitters are getting half as many RBI as my 8 hitter. I am probably moving that 8 hitter up
What about BARISP? Wouldn’t that be a fairly accurate indicator of a hitters production? In high school, there’s mostly always someone in base, even at the lower end of the line-up. And wouldn’t OPS be an accurate indication of…something?

Oct 3, 2019
i see schools holding off on submitting or entering stats into conference websites in order to 'hide' hot or cold hitters.
Can’t escape the local newspaper write-ups though. Ours covers all the games and West Coast Preps, an online newsletter we have access to here, covers teams from the entire region. Even the kids know who’s who on other teams.

Jun 11, 2013
I tend to use stats to verify what I think I'm seeing. OBP and OBS are to big ones. On Defense I don't look at all.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What about BARISP? Wouldn’t that be a fairly accurate indicator of a hitters production? In high school, there’s mostly always someone in base, even at the lower end of the line-up. And wouldn’t OPS be an accurate indication of…something?
OPS is a good indicator if the scorekeeper is doing the job properly. Again if errors are being counted as hits and errors never turn singles in doubles and no one ever take a base on the throw home but gets credited with a double instead, then OPS is useless.garbage in garbage out.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This happens all the time in travel and high school ball. We played a team last week who cooked the books really badly. Their catcher is committed to a large D1 in CT, and amazingly enough, she hasn't had a passed ball or error all season. And their offensive stats are even worse. In one game against another local school, the opposing school committed five straight errors. Yes, it was that bad. According to the offending team, there was one error, two fielder's choices, and two hits.

The best part is they stream every game for all to see, so the evidence is out there.

Aug 27, 2014
This happens all the time in travel and high school ball. We played a team last week who cooked the books really badly. Their catcher is committed to a large D1 in CT, and amazingly enough, she hasn't had a passed ball or error all season. And their offensive stats are even worse. In one game against another local school, the opposing school committed five straight errors. Yes, it was that bad. According to the offending team, there was one error, two fielder's choices, and two hits.

The best part is they stream every game for all to see, so the evidence is out there.
I am the GC guy for our HS varsity team. I try to be as honest as I can be, but I don't profess to be a professional scorekeeper either. I know what constitutes an error and what doesn't, but at the same time, one thing I admit to doing that isn't "by the book" scorekeeping is that, if there is a true 50-50 judgment call for a player on our team, and I give them an ROE, the next time that player has a 50-50 judgment call, I will err on the other side and call it a hit. While I try to score it as best I can, there are simply plays that can be scored either way and I do want to give our players the benefit of the doubt because other schools we compete with absolutely cook the book way more than I ever would.

Speaking of which -- I am just a parent, so I would be curious what varsity coaches say about the role of GC statistics in the voting for All County, All State, etc. In your experience, how much of the voting is based on stats? How much is just the perceived talent of the player (perhaps bolstered by college commitment)? Do you take into account numbers against stronger competition and/or discount numbers against teams that are terrible? When you can't watch players from other regions for any significant amount of time, what do you rely on?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I am the GC guy for our HS varsity team. I try to be as honest as I can be, but I don't profess to be a professional scorekeeper either. I know what constitutes an error and what doesn't, but at the same time, one thing I admit to doing that isn't "by the book" scorekeeping is that, if there is a true 50-50 judgment call for a player on our team, and I give them an ROE, the next time that player has a 50-50 judgment call, I will err on the other side and call it a hit. While I try to score it as best I can, there are simply plays that can be scored either way and I do want to give our players the benefit of the doubt because other schools we compete with absolutely cook the book way more than I ever would.

Speaking of which -- I am just a parent, so I would be curious what varsity coaches say about the role of GC statistics in the voting for All County, All State, etc. In your experience, how much of the voting is based on stats? How much is just the perceived talent of the player (perhaps bolstered by college commitment)? Do you take into account numbers against stronger competition and/or discount numbers against teams that are terrible? When you can't watch players from other regions for any significant amount of time, what do you rely on?
In my area, All-County is voted on by the opposing coaches after each game. Each coach gets three votes per game, and at the end of the season they meet to tally the votes. As far as I can tell, GC plays no part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13