Stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I thought I would resurrect an old thread on scoring. As a HS coach, I hate to bring this up. However, I have been following certain HS schools and their stats. It seems that one or two schools are in the habit of changing their stats a few weeks after they play a team. We were to play a team and we had the stats from the first time we played them. Somehow, in the following two weeks, this team found 5 more hits from that first game.

We were playing a school and one of the parents was a former baseball player of mine. He came over to talk after the game. I told him about the miraculous ability for this certain team to grow hits after the game. He sent me a text that it happed from their last game. What a shame. This information will be making it around now. I'm not good at keeping secrets. I won't go "nuclear" and name the one school but I am sure that they will hear that their actions have been discovered.

Yeah, when I see fishy stuff like this I tell people. Lots of people. Get the word out. I'll even defend my actions to that team's coaches and parents and players. Wrong is wrong.

Jun 20, 2015
or the HS coach that instructs his official score keeper that any flyball in outfield, if any fielder has to take more than 5 steps, it's a hit if not caught. regardless.

Or changing of throwing errors into E3 errors. the list is long on the crooked path of deceit.

May 22, 2023
This depends a lot on the age level you're working with. My notes below involve 12U

Offensively, I used OPS and OBP to confirm ideas I have about lineups. I like to top load lineups, and I look for OPS numbers greater than 1 as generally productive players at the plate. If I'm sifting through who to fill in on lower parts of the lineup, I'll look at contact percentage to give me an idea if a hitter is putting the ball in play vs. just striking out.

Defensively, I track strike percentage constantly for pitchers. About 65% strikes seems to be the happy spot for my pitchers of giving the defense a chance to make plays and keeping the ball from always hanging out over the plate for batting practice. I've also noticed that at the 12U level, over the course of a season, I almost always end up with a 1 to 1 correlation of ((BB+HBP) x (errors/game)) - Runs Allowed.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I thought I would resurrect an old thread on scoring. As a HS coach, I hate to bring this up. However, I have been following certain HS schools and their stats. It seems that one or two schools are in the habit of changing their stats a few weeks after they play a team. We were to play a team and we had the stats from the first time we played them. Somehow, in the following two weeks, this team found 5 more hits from that first game.

We were playing a school and one of the parents was a former baseball player of mine. He came over to talk after the game. I told him about the miraculous ability for this certain team to grow hits after the game. He sent me a text that it happed from their last game. What a shame. This information will be making it around now. I'm not good at keeping secrets. I won't go "nuclear" and name the one school but I am sure that they will hear that their actions have been discovered.

This year I have dealt with:

One team repeatedly changing the score of a JV tie to a 1-run win for them.

One team changing a 6-5 score to 6-4. They won on a walk-off walk. Not sure how they could think 6-5 was even possible. This team's coach tried to re-enter a player in a different spot in the batting order and couldn't understand why it wasn't allowed ("We've done this all year.").

That same team turning a two-inning JV scrimmage (they didn't get an umpire, so our JV coach umped and didn't even keep a book) into a win for them.

Then there was the team that had a player who had a batting average over 1.000 for the season. I think that one was just not knowing what they were doing though. The team was terrible.

May 27, 2022
This year I have dealt with:

One team repeatedly changing the score of a JV tie to a 1-run win for them.

One team changing a 6-5 score to 6-4. They won on a walk-off walk. Not sure how they could think 6-5 was even possible. This team's coach tried to re-enter a player in a different spot in the batting order and couldn't understand why it wasn't allowed ("We've done this all year.").

That same team turning a two-inning JV scrimmage (they didn't get an umpire, so our JV coach umped and didn't even keep a book) into a win for them.

Then there was the team that had a player who had a batting average over 1.000 for the season. I think that one was just not knowing what they were doing though. The team was terrible.

Where do the make these changes? In MaxPreps or Bound?

Do they know what a fielders choice is? (had that with one scorekeeper)

I've said it before but in Iowa coaches have to put all stats in Bound (Link). While not perfect, I think it helps keep them honest.

Jun 20, 2015
cheaters are gonna cheat. I've witnessed multiple times, multiple years, multiple coaches. purposefully, entering incorrect information into the conference website.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

I've said it before but in Iowa coaches have to put all stats in Bound (Link). While not perfect, I think it helps keep them honest.
We report our HS games/stats to the St. Louis Post Dispatch or "Sportsstats." Every coach calls in or uses a computer to input data after each game. They can then go back later and change the data. These stats are used for our various all-area teams. The problem with our system is that the stats for a game doesn't have to add up between the two teams. Most often they do but if a coach wanted to go back and make changes, they can and there isn't a notification that the stats no longer match up.

May 27, 2022
We report our HS games/stats to the St. Louis Post Dispatch or "Sportsstats." Every coach calls in or uses a computer to input data after each game. They can then go back later and change the data. These stats are used for our various all-area teams. The problem with our system is that the stats for a game doesn't have to add up between the two teams. Most often they do but if a coach wanted to go back and make changes, they can and there isn't a notification that the stats no longer match up.

Yeah, that is true for Bound as well. Lot's of teams don't seem to credit a Stolen Base when there are runners at 1st and 3rd with no throw down even though it should be.

Lot's of times you will see differences between:
- Team A Hits vs Team B Hits Allowed (usually found in the difference in errors otherwise likely a fielders choice counted as a hit)
- Team A Stolen Bases vs Team B Stolen Bases Allowed

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I would twitch and lose my shirt if people manipulate stats...Hell, I get pissed if peeps are way tooooo nice on errors and giving hits, ugh. I want stat accuracy to make proper decisions as the season moves on.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

This was in MaxPreps. At least half the teams we play don't enter stats because they don't care enough to do so.

The only thing official/important are varsity scores, since the IHSA imports that data into their system before State Tournament seeding.

We did once play a team that marked a fielder's choice a single for his player. A 4-6 FC. An out. Marked it a hit. This guy was a notorious cheater though. In that same game, he gave one of his OF (I think the LF) an error on a double to the gap. A different time we played that team, they didn't bother to get an ump. So we scrimmaged with a teacher from their school umping from behind the pitcher. I batted my whole lineup and didn't keep score or anything. We played I think two innings. They TWICE tried to enter it as an official game with a score (which may or may not have been correct since I didn't bother keeping a book), and I deleted it both times.

I've heard other stories of schools adding games that didn't happen into MaxPreps to pad their win totals. Wild stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee